Thermodynamics, calculating the time it will take water to boil away

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving heating and boiling water in a kettle. The problem is solved using the equation Q=mcΔT and the heat of vaporization for water. There is some uncertainty about the correct values to use and the final answer is estimated to be approximately 34 minutes. However, it is noted that this calculation does not take into account the time it takes to heat the water from 20°C to 100°C.
madjockmcfers

Homework Statement

Ok, so my book has the following problem: A kettle can heat 20°C water to 100°C in 5 minutes. How long will it take to completely boil it away assuming the same rate of heat addition.

Homework Equations

I think Q=mcΔT is relevant but beyond that I am struggling.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I've just enrolled in my first ever physics class at the age of 34. I've been doing well but this has stumped me, any guidance as to how to even start the question would be very useful. I feel that once I get a start I can finish it myself.

So, I've worked through the equation using Q= 2260kJ as this is the heat vaporisation of water, c I've assumed to be 4186J (the specific heat of water) and Δ T is 80°C. This gives me a mass of 6.75kg.

The rate of heat addition is 80°C / 5 minutes = 16°C per minute.

However, I'm not sure I've used the correct values, and I'm not certain on how to proceed from here. I'm not even sure I need to know the mass. The problem is the book (Energy, its use and the Environment) doesn't have any examples like this, and I am completely new to physics.

I've been doing well so far but this has completely thrown me.

Perhaps I should use the formulae W(work)=Qh-Qc where Qh equals end temperature and Qc equals initial temperature...and work out from that the amount of work done on the water and then somehow get to how much work needs to be done to boil away the water...

But without being given the mass how do I proceed? Ugh...I am doing well in this course but this has stumped me.

Physics news on Phys.org
The quantity of water is unknown, so just assume it is 1 kg to make the calculation simple.

ΔQ = [4.18kJ/kgC]*1kg*80degreesC = 334.4kJ

Power = ΔQ/Δt = 334.4kJ/300s = 1.11kJ/s = 1110 watts = 1.11kw

My book gives the heat of vaporization of water as 2256 J/g or 2256kJ/kg.

So 1.11kw * Δt = 2256kJ

So Δt = 2030 s = about 34 minutes ?

That seems long?

It does seem a little long.

One problem is clearly it doesn't give a mass...so how I'm supposed to give a correct answer I don't know. My only thought is that mass cancels out somewhere...I just haven't worked out where yet.

The additional problem here is the question says how long will it take to boil at the same rate of temperature increase....which is (100°C-20°C) / 5 mins = 16°C increase per minute. So, it'll take less than 34 minutes because the temperature of the steam is increasing by 16°C per minute.

Spinnor said:
The quantity of water is unknown, so just assume it is 1 kg to make the calculation simple.

ΔQ = [4.18kJ/kgC]*1kg*80degreesC = 334.4kJ

Power = ΔQ/Δt = 334.4kJ/300s = 1.11kJ/s = 1110 watts = 1.11kw

My book gives the heat of vaporization of water as 2256 J/g or 2256kJ/kg.

So 1.11kw * Δt = 2256kJ

So Δt = 2030 s = about 34 minutes ?

That seems long?

I got 2019.1s, I am not 100% sure I did it right as well since I am still learning this but...

I first found the power with an unknown variable m.
Q=mcΔT
Q=m(4190)(80)
P=m(4190)(80)/300s

Now because we know the energy to vaporize all the water is Q=mL. You take that number and divide it by the power, thus cancelling the mass. What do you guys think? Makes sense to me. Vaporizing water would require more energy than heating it up, thus the answer must be greater than 5 minutes. In this case about 34 minutes.

Don't forget to include the time it takes to heat the water from 20C to 100C.

Thanks everyone. That makes sense. I was struggling yesterday but in the cold light of day that looks about right!

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another.

How is the time it takes for water to boil away calculated?

The time it takes for water to boil away can be calculated using the formula: t = (m * h) / (C * (Tb - Ta)), where t is the time in seconds, m is the mass of the water in grams, h is the heat of vaporization of water (2257 J/g), C is the specific heat capacity of water (4.184 J/g°C), Tb is the boiling point of water (100°C), and Ta is the initial temperature of the water.

What factors affect the time it takes for water to boil away?

The time it takes for water to boil away is affected by factors such as the mass of the water, the heat of vaporization of water, the specific heat capacity of water, the initial temperature of the water, and the type of container the water is in.

Can the time it takes for water to boil away be shortened?

Yes, the time it takes for water to boil away can be shortened by increasing the heat source, reducing the mass of the water, using a container with a larger surface area, and increasing the initial temperature of the water.

How does altitude affect the time it takes for water to boil away?

The time it takes for water to boil away is affected by altitude due to changes in atmospheric pressure. At higher altitudes, the atmospheric pressure is lower, which results in a lower boiling point for water. Therefore, it will take less time for water to boil away at high altitudes compared to lower altitudes.