Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics - Energy analysis of piston-cylinder device

1. Sep 25, 2007 #1
    Hello :)

I'm having trouble working on this homework question (please see attachment). The answers are supposed to be
    a) 22.61 KJ
    b) 36.79 KJ
    c) 151.8*C

I solved (a) and I noticed that the answer to (c) is that saturation temperature at 500kPa, but I just cannot get (b)! In fact, I'm not really sure I even know what's given for part (b). Obviously P=500kPa, but what else is known? Would Vb = 0.6(Va) = 0.0551898 m^3 ? It seems like I need another intensive property (other than P) to identify the state as a start.

help :confused:

Attached Files:

• 4-9.JPG
      4-9.JPG
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2007 #2
    I just read the sticky about homework. Sorry.

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    So I worked on it some more, just trying to understand the darn thing.. and yes, [tex]V_{b}[/tex] = 0.0551898 m^3. Now which formula to use for boundary work?

For constant temp and an ideal gas, I know the formula:
    [tex]W_{b}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]mRT/V[/tex]dV = mRT*ln([tex]V_{2}[/tex]/[tex]V_{1}[/tex])

But prof said that for real gases undergoing an isothermal process, the integral in the boundary work equation "would be done numerically." What does that mean??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?