Thermodynamics - Energy analysis of piston-cylinder device

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
eh87
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello :)

I'm having trouble working on this homework question (please see attachment). The answers are supposed to be
a) 22.61 KJ
b) 36.79 KJ
c) 151.8*C

I solved (a) and I noticed that the answer to (c) is that saturation temperature at 500kPa, but I just cannot get (b)! In fact, I'm not really sure I even know what's given for part (b). Obviously P=500kPa, but what else is known? Would Vb = 0.6(Va) = 0.0551898 m^3 ? It seems like I need another intensive property (other than P) to identify the state as a start.

help :confused:
 
Attachments
  • 4-9.JPG
    4-9.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
So I worked on it some more, just trying to understand the darn thing.. and yes, [tex]V_{b}[/tex] = 0.0551898 m^3. Now which formula to use for boundary work?

For constant temp and an ideal gas, I know the formula:
[tex]W_{b}[/tex] = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]mRT/V[/tex]dV = mRT*ln([tex]V_{2}[/tex]/[tex]V_{1}[/tex])

But prof said that for real gases undergoing an isothermal process, the integral in the boundary work equation "would be done numerically." What does that mean??