Understanding Pressure Changes in Thermodynamics: Explained with an Example

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about how a fixed mass on top of a piston-cylinder device can keep the pressure constant as water is heated through several phases. The conversation also mentions neglecting friction and assuming slow changes to the gas. It is explained that in this experiment, both pressure and temperature remain constant as liquid evaporates to form vapor, causing an increase in volume due to an increase in the number of moles of gas.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

I'm doing a class on thermodynamics and energy and well there's this chapter about pure substances and subcooled liquids, saturated liquids, superheated, etc. stuff like that.
The chapter begins by showing a piston-cylinder in an initial state containing liquid water and a mass is kept on top of it to keep the pressure constant. Thats what I don't understand, how can a mass on top of the piston keep the pressure constant?, I mean first of all as the water is heated should the volume not increase(as gas) by the PV=mRT, and since volume is proportional to pressure it should increase too?

Can someone explain how the fixed mass on top of the piston-cylinder device keeps pressure constant as the water is heating through several phases.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

The chapter begins by showing a piston-cylinder in an initial state containing liquid water and a mass is kept on top of it to keep the pressure constant. Thats what I don't understand, how can a mass on top of the piston keep the pressure constant?, I mean first of all as the water is heated should the volume not increase(as gas) by the PV=mRT, and since volume is proportional to pressure it should increase too?

Can someone explain how the fixed mass on top of the piston-cylinder device keeps pressure constant as the water is heating through several phases.
Neglect friction between the piston and cylinder and assume that any changes to the gas will occur slowly. What are the external forces on the gas in the cylinder? Do those forces change? Does the area of the piston change?

If you add heat flow to the gas (increasing T), PV will increase. But in this case, since the piston is free to move V increases. Why would P increase?

AM

DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

I'm doing a class on thermodynamics and energy and well there's this chapter about pure substances and subcooled liquids, saturated liquids, superheated, etc. stuff like that.

For an ideal gas at constant m and T, volume is inversely proportional to pressure. But, that is not what is happening in your experiment. Moreover, liquid water does not even obey the ideal gas low.

In your experiment, both P and T are constant as liquid evaporates to form vapor. If V is increasing, that must mean that the number of moles of gas m is increasing. And, the number of moles of liquid must be decreasing by the same amount (since mass is conserved). But the molar volume of the liquid is much less than the molar volume of the vapor that is produced. So the total volume of liquid and gas increases.

1. What is pressure in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area by a gas or liquid on the walls of its container. It is a measure of how much the molecules in the substance are colliding with each other and with the container.

2. How does pressure change in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, pressure changes when there is a change in the volume or temperature of a gas or liquid. For example, if the volume decreases while the temperature remains constant, the pressure will increase. Similarly, if the temperature increases while the volume remains constant, the pressure will also increase.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to pressure changes?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature and the number of moles of gas. This means that as one of these variables changes, the others will also change to maintain the same proportion.

4. Can you provide an example of pressure changes in thermodynamics?

One example of pressure changes in thermodynamics is the compression of a gas in a piston-cylinder system. As the piston is pushed down, the volume of the gas decreases, causing an increase in pressure. This increase in pressure can be seen by a rise in the pressure gauge attached to the system.

5. How can understanding pressure changes in thermodynamics be applied in real-world situations?

Understanding pressure changes in thermodynamics is crucial in various real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration systems, and chemical reactions. It is also essential in understanding weather patterns and the behavior of gases in different environments.