1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermostatic applied on electronic chip

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    Hi everybody
    I am an electronic engineer and I have a question concerning thermostatic behaviour of an electronic component.

I have a printed circuit board (PCB) with electronic chips on it. At room temperature 25°C I measure with the infrared themometer the case temperature of one component which is 40°C (It is an ethernet PHY).
    Now I made the following assumption: If I put the PCB in a climatic chamber and adjust the chamber temperature to 85°C degree then the case temperature of the component should be 100°C = (40+(85-25)). But that is not the case, it is lower, only 90°C.
    So what is going on there I dont understand this.
    Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    I don't beleive its a linera rise to ambient temperature as I would have to study all the calculations involved in PCB I'll instead direct you to a claculator that I've used in the past.

http://home.comcast.net/~pcb.george/trace.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    This is a calculator that computes the temperature and resistance of a copper trace on the PCB in relation to its mechanical dimensions and electrical current.
    I dont see how that gives me an answer to my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook