Thermostatic applied on electronic chip

In summary, the conversation involved an electronic engineer seeking help with understanding the thermostatic behavior of an electronic component on a printed circuit board (PCB). The engineer had measured the case temperature of the component at room temperature and then again in a climatic chamber at a higher temperature, but the results did not match their assumption. They were directed to a calculator that can compute the temperature and resistance of a copper trace on the PCB, but did not see how it answered their question.
schnuber
Hi everybody
I am an electronic engineer and I have a question concerning thermostatic behaviour of an electronic component.

I have a printed circuit board (PCB) with electronic chips on it. At room temperature 25°C I measure with the infrared themometer the case temperature of one component which is 40°C (It is an ethernet PHY).
Now I made the following assumption: If I put the PCB in a climatic chamber and adjust the chamber temperature to 85°C degree then the case temperature of the component should be 100°C = (40+(85-25)). But that is not the case, it is lower, only 90°C.
So what is going on there I don't understand this.
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe its a linera rise to ambient temperature as I would have to study all the calculations involved in PCB I'll instead direct you to a claculator that I've used in the past.

http://home.comcast.net/~pcb.george/trace.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a calculator that computes the temperature and resistance of a copper trace on the PCB in relation to its mechanical dimensions and electrical current.
I don't see how that gives me an answer to my question.

1. What is a thermostatic applied on electronic chip?

A thermostatic applied on electronic chip is a temperature control mechanism that is specifically designed to regulate the temperature of an electronic chip. It is a small device that is attached to the chip and uses sensors to monitor the temperature and adjust it accordingly.

2. How does a thermostatic applied on electronic chip work?

The thermostatic applied on electronic chip works by using a feedback control system. It constantly measures the temperature of the chip and compares it to a set temperature. If the chip's temperature is higher than the set temperature, the thermostatic device will activate and cool down the chip. If the temperature is too low, it will activate and warm up the chip.

3. What are the benefits of using a thermostatic applied on electronic chip?

The main benefit of using a thermostatic applied on electronic chip is that it helps to maintain a consistent temperature for the chip. This is important because excessive heat can damage electronic components and affect their performance. It also helps to prolong the lifespan of the chip and improve its overall efficiency.

4. Can a thermostatic applied on electronic chip be adjusted?

Yes, a thermostatic applied on electronic chip can be adjusted. Most devices come with a set temperature, but some also allow for manual adjustments. This is useful when working with different types of chips that require specific temperature ranges.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a thermostatic applied on electronic chip?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to consider when using a thermostatic applied on electronic chip. It is important to ensure that the device is properly installed and maintained to avoid any malfunctions. It is also important to regularly check the temperature settings and make sure they are appropriate for the type of chip being used.