1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin Equivalent Explanation Request~!

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6493/f7868b61c6cb4d6084fa5ba.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried to deduct how my textbook has actually done this Thevenin Equivalent. No one in my class (that I've come into contact with anyway) actually has a clue about this, and we don't have lectures/tutorials for 3 weeks.

This isn't a homework question, but is a smaller part to another question we are expected to do.

This was taken from a textbook.

So if possible, my classmates and I would really appreciate it if you could explain the process in how they've transformed that first part of the circuit.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    Use a source transformation and then you can find the equivalent resistance (25ohm and 100ohm resistors are in parallel).

Then, using another source transformation, you find the voltage. Finally, the equivalent resistance of the 25ohm and 100ohm resistors are in series with the 10ohm resistor after the second source transformation.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook