Equivalent resitance?Thevenin equivalent problem

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin equivalent resistance for a circuit with a floating resistor. The solution involves transforming the circuit and ignoring the floating resistor, as it does not contribute to the equivalent resistance. The final equation for the Thevenin equivalent resistance is Zth = (R1+R4) || R2.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2306/theveninequiv.png

I'm trying to find the Thevenin equivalent resistance for this circuit, but it's proving difficult.

I'v tried to Zero all sources, (assuming that Zero'd current sources are open circuits), and i drew the resulting circuit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

I Guess my biggest problem is that R3 resistor that's just floating there, and has one end hooked up to nothing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that R4 and R1 are in series. And that R4+R1 are || with R2. But i don't know how this R3 fits into all of this.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Learnphysics,

You have done the transformation correctly. Since R3 is dangling, it is not part of the Thevenin equivalent resistance, and so you ignore it. No current is flowing through it since it is an open, so it cannot contribute to the equivalent resistance.
So You'll just have: Zth = (R1+R4) || R2

However, since you turn the sources back on afterword to compute the Thevenin voltage, it becomes part of the circuit again since it is no longer dangling (an open).

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit or a portion of a circuit that can be replaced by a single resistor and still produce the same current and voltage values as the original circuit.

2. How is equivalent resistance calculated?

Equivalent resistance is calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the equivalent resistance is equal to the total voltage divided by the total current in the circuit. It can also be calculated by combining resistors in series or parallel using specific formulas.

3. What is the Thevenin equivalent problem?

The Thevenin equivalent problem is a method used to simplify a complex circuit into a single equivalent voltage source and a single equivalent resistance. This simplification is useful for analysis and calculations in circuit design.

4. How is the Thevenin equivalent problem solved?

The Thevenin equivalent problem is solved by determining the open-circuit voltage and the short-circuit current of the original circuit. The equivalent voltage source is then calculated as the open-circuit voltage, and the equivalent resistance is calculated as the open-circuit voltage divided by the short-circuit current.

5. Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify a circuit and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the overall behavior of a circuit and how changing resistances can affect the current and voltage values. It is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis and design.