1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the thevenin equivalent circuit (just need my values checked )

1. Feb 28, 2013 #1
    find the thevenin equivalent circuit (just need my values checked!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the thevenin equivalent circuit (using open/short circuit method is how i did it):
    5lq58j.png

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just need to verify that my V(th)=V(oc) value is right:

Vc/4 + Vc/6 + (Vc-2)/3 - 4 = 0
    Vc = Voc=Vth=6.22V

i am pretty sure i did it right..however, when i build my circuit in the software my class uses (multisim) i get a different voltage and current reading when i correct it like the picture above (with point B above the 2V source). i have to connect to point B is BELOW the 2V source, like this, to get the rite reading:
    2gt28eg.png

i know why this is. when i connect it to point B above the 2V source, i get a reading of 4.22V with the software...but i built the circuit like it looks in the diagram. and when i did it below the voltage source, i just add 2V to that value. so my actual question is, is the thevenin voltage 4.22V or 6.22V? and did i set up my circuit in the software wrong somehow?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: find the thevenin equivalent circuit (just need my values checked

If everything behind the a and b terminals was hidden inside a black box, what would you determine the open circuit voltage to be with your meter?

4. Feb 28, 2013 #3

huh?? so you're saying i should only measure open circuit voltage where a and b are in the diagram? i got 4.22V when i did that, but it disagrees with my node voltage calculation.

5. Feb 28, 2013 #4

gneill

Your node potential was calculated with respect to the reference node, which is NOT not node b :wink:

6. Feb 28, 2013 #5

sorry but i dont understand. the only node i labeled was Vc. are you saying i did my node voltage thing wrong? that i should only look at what is between terminals a and b and ignore the 2V source entirely?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Feb 28, 2013 #6

gneill

No, you did your node potential calculations fine. You chose a reference node and found the potential of the node Vc with respect to that reference node. But the voltage you're interested in is the potential difference between terminals a and b.

For that you should find the potential at terminal b with respect to the reference node and take the difference: Vc - Vb, as you found out by subtracting the 2V potential at node b from Vc.

8. Feb 28, 2013 #7

ah i see..so working my way from the ground node to the right path, I find there's a 2V increase when it reaches terminal b, because of the voltage source. so I take the voltage at a and subtract the voltage at b:

6.22V-2V = 4.22V.

is that right?

9. Feb 28, 2013 #8

gneill

Yes, that's right :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted