1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting to a circuit's Thevenin equivalent?

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    9e394656-9726-3863-a477-3e151818d431___18b248a0-12e1-3001-8982-625d7321b1c6.png

2. Relevant equations
    Finding the Thevenin equivalent?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the thevenin resistance to be 185/47 ohms, which came out to be correct.

I've been struggling with this question all day. I ended up attempting to find the norton equivalent and then converting it, since the question asks for both anyways. I started with a source conversion on the 3A and 5ohm current source and resistor, turning it into a 15V voltage source and a 5 ohm resistor in series (going into the b terminal). I shorted the a-b terminal and used KVL to find the current going through as 3A, typed that into my webwork page and it said I was wrong. Is there anything I'm missing here?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Are you given values for ##I## and ##R## ?

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    Oh yeah sorry, I = 2.5A and R = 4.5ohms

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4
    On that note actually, these problems look fairly straightforward and I'm afraid that I misunderstand something fundamental about circuits...

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5

gneill

Okay.

Hint: Work from left to right towards the output, converting and combining sources and resistances as you go.

7. Feb 5, 2017 #6
    If I have a voltage source>resistor>voltage source>resistor in series could I just rearrange and combine them? If so I converted the leftmost current source and resistor to a voltage source in series with it, combined the 2 resistors and voltage sources to get 25.25V and 18.5 ohms. I converted those to a current source in parallel with a resistor to get 101/74A and 18.5ohms. Adding those to the current source in parallel with the resistor on the right I get 121/74A (pointing down) with 185/47ohms, giving me a voltage difference of 605/94 but the program says that is incorrect...

8. Feb 5, 2017 #7
    Oh my god it explicitly wanted the voltage from a to b, and that is -605/94. I've been trying to figure this out for four hours... Thank you for the help haha.

9. Feb 5, 2017 #8

gneill

:smile:
    Glad to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted