Thevenin Equivalent in AC circuit

In summary, Joaquim, a new member of the forum and a first year Electronic Engineering student, has a question about finding the Thevenin equivalent circuit in AC. He is asking for confirmation on his calculations, which involve calculating the inductor and capacitor reactances and adding them to the resistance values. Another member suggests reading through Volume II of All About Circuits for more information.
jboavida
Hi All,

My name is Joaquim and I'm new in this forums. I am a Electronic Engineer student (1st Year).

I have a question about a Thevenin equivalent circuit in AC.

I need someone to tell me if I'm doing the right math in finding the thevenin equivalent (AB point):

Please see the following circuit:

http://www.mydrive.ch/en/download.php/6748873/Cir1.bmp

I need to calculate the inductor reactance
(Xl) = 2 * Pi * F * L
The capacitor reactance
(Xc) = 1 / ( 2 * Pi * F * C )

And then I add R1 to L1 reactance and parallel with C1 reactance.
Finally, the result added to R2.

((R1+XL1) // XC1)+R2 = RThevenin

Are my calculations correct or I'm missing something?

Thanks in advance

Joaquim

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Joaquim

couldn't see you circuit diagram? didn't seem to load up.

I think it would be a good idea if you had a read through Volume II AC

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_5/2.html

Thanks for your awnser.

Sorry, You should see the circuit now.

Joaquim

1. What is Thevenin Equivalent in AC circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent in AC circuit is a method used to simplify a complex network of resistors, capacitors, and inductors into a single voltage source and series impedance. This simplification allows for easier analysis of the circuit's behavior.

2. How is Thevenin Equivalent calculated?

The Thevenin Equivalent is calculated by finding the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin impedance of the circuit. The Thevenin voltage is the open-circuit voltage at the output terminals of the circuit, while the Thevenin impedance is the equivalent impedance of the circuit when all independent sources are turned off.

3. What is the purpose of finding Thevenin Equivalent in AC circuit?

The purpose of finding Thevenin Equivalent in AC circuit is to simplify a complex circuit into a single voltage source and series impedance. This simplification allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's behavior, such as voltage and current at different points in the circuit.

4. Can Thevenin Equivalent be applied to all types of AC circuits?

Yes, Thevenin Equivalent can be applied to all types of AC circuits, including circuits with resistors, capacitors, and inductors, as long as the circuit is linear and time-invariant.

5. How is Thevenin Equivalent used in practical applications?

Thevenin Equivalent is commonly used in practical applications to design and analyze circuits, such as in power systems, audio amplifiers, and electronic equipment. It allows engineers to simplify complex circuits and make accurate predictions about the circuit's behavior before constructing it.