1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thickness of steel required for shielding magnetic field

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    thickness of steel plate required to stop interaction between 3' dia neodymium magnet

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think you can shield one magnet from another one... you didn't say what the shielding would be "between".
    The shielding effect depends on the grade of steel... you need enough that it won't saturate, so how much you'd need also depends on the strength of the magnet.

4. Mar 18, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Three feet diameter neodymium magnets?

5. Mar 18, 2015 #4
    I'm sorry,that was a mistake its 3 inch dia

6. Mar 18, 2015 #5
    You can't cancel magnetic field but can redirect it which effects the interaction between magnets or other materials.
    Yes, thickness of shielding material depends on various factors which includes magnetic field strength, its Frequency and material permeability.

7. Mar 18, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Even 3" is very big.

You're not going to ever completely stop the interaction. If you put up a piece of iron, the magnet will still feel the force from the iron.

8. Mar 18, 2015 #7
    I got my answer.
    Thanks for your involvement.

9. Mar 24, 2015 #8
    What is the answer?

10. Mar 27, 2015 #9
    Well It depends on your question.
    I just posted that question to get an insight of some other problem.
    If you can elaborate your question then maybe I can help you.

11. Mar 27, 2015 #10

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Steel" is not a well specified material. There are lots and lots of different types, and many are almost completely non-magnetic (this is especially true for stainless steel); i.e. the steel won't affect the magnetic field at all (this is why you can build e.g. NMR and MRI machines out of steel). Iron is of course ferromagnetic, but pure iron is not actually used that often.
    Hence, in order to be able to be able to start to answer the question you need to specify the type of steel used.

12. Mar 27, 2015 #11
    Plain Carbon Steel

13. Mar 27, 2015 #12
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook