Understanding Thin Lens Equations: Solving for Image Distances and Focal Length

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving calculating image distances for different object distances and creating a graph of 1/q vs 1/p. The person asks for clarification on comparing the slope of the graph to the equation 1/q = -1/p + 1/f and using the focal length obtained from the graph to determine the location and nature of the image. The expert suggests that for question 1, one should keep the focal length fixed and vary the object distance to see if the graph produces an expected line. For question 2, the expert advises using the graph to answer the question without calculation and confirms that the focal length should be in meters when using the equation 1/f = 1/q + 1/p
badd99

Homework Statement

I am given 5 distances to place the object relative to the lens. I then need to calculate each of the images distances for all 5 and record them. Once I have that done, I am to conduct a graph of 1/q vs 1/p. I then need to answer these questions:

1- Is the slope of your graph consistant with what you would expect from 1/q = -1/p + 1/f?

2-If your lens is placed at 15cm away (in front) of the object, where is the image? Is the image real or virtual? (To answer this question use the focal length you obtained from your graph).

Homework Equations

1/f = 1/q + 1/p

1/q = -1/p + 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so for number 1 - When I get the slope of my graph how do I compare it to that equation when I have 5 different image distances? Can I just pick one image distance and solve for -1/p since its in the form of x in y=mx+b?

2- Can I use 1/q = -1/p + 1/f and set p here to be 15cm? I would use my graph of 1/q vs 1/p to set the intercept to 1/f and solve for f to find the focal length and use in the equation with the 15cm. Also, should my focal lengths always be in meters with this equation? Also, if I solved with the values for this equation and 1/q came out to be negative would the image be virtual?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure whether q represents object or image since you didn't tell us. Q1 tells you to keep your focal length fixed, and then vary the object distance to see where the object images. So yeah, say whether it gives you an expected line or not.

You should use your graph to answer question 2, no calculation needed.

1. What is a thin lens and how does it work?

A thin lens is a transparent material with curved surfaces that can bend and refract light. It works by bending light rays as they pass through it, either converging them to a focal point or diverging them away from a focal point.

2. How do I calculate the focal length of a thin lens?

The focal length of a thin lens can be calculated using the lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. Alternatively, you can use the thin lens formula: f = (n-1)(1/R1 + 1/R2), where n is the refractive index of the lens and R1 and R2 are the radii of curvature of the two lens surfaces.

3. What is the difference between a converging and diverging thin lens?

A converging thin lens is thicker in the middle and causes light rays to converge at a focal point, while a diverging thin lens is thinner in the middle and causes light rays to diverge away from a focal point.

4. How does the refractive index of a thin lens affect its performance?

The refractive index of a thin lens determines how much the light is bent as it passes through the lens. A higher refractive index means that the light will bend more, resulting in a shorter focal length and a stronger magnification. A lower refractive index will result in a longer focal length and a weaker magnification.

5. What are some common uses of thin lenses in everyday life?

Thin lenses have many practical applications, such as in eyeglasses, cameras, microscopes, and telescopes. They are also used in laser technology and in corrective vision surgeries.