Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Think of an interesting physics problem

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    suppose there are two people

it is of course, possible that one of them could lift up another person by one hand (or two)
    if he is powerful enough.

I just wonder if it is possible for someone to lift up himself by his own hand(s) in the world suppose he is strong and powerful enough.

It's possible for a 100kg man to lift up a 200kg object, but why a 100kg man can't lift up himselff which is far less than 100kg

Am I stupid to ask this question? but what is the reason in phyiscs or science

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2
    What makes you think that a man cannot pull his own weight? Newer seen someone doing pull-ups?

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A person cannot lift themselves up because they are using themselves as the "anchor point". If you pull upwards on one arm with the other, nothing happens because while you are pulling upwards on the one arm, the one doing the pulling is pushing down on the rest of your body. So nothing happens.

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4
    Be a yoga master and you can levitate. Physically impossible.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I hope this is a joke.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook