1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Third-order nonlinear ODE with boundary condition

1. Dec 15, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to solve a third-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation. I couldn't get the answer even using Mathematica.

The equation is:

u'''(t) + u/2 u''(t) = 0

with conditions u(0)=0, u'(0)=0, u(10)=1.

I need to get both analytic solution and numerical solution. For the numerical solution, I'm thinking the Newton iterative algorithm. But for the analytic solution, I really have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2
    I mean if you're using Mathematica, just use NDSolve:

Code (Text):

myguesses = {0.1, 0.15, 0.2};
    sols = (First[NDSolve[{Derivative[3][u][t] + (u[t]/2)*Derivative[2][u][t] == 0, u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0,
            u[10] == 1}, u, t, Method -> {"Shooting", "StartingInitialConditions" -> {u[0] == 0, Derivative[1][u][0] == 0,
               Derivative[2][u][0] == #1}}]] & ) /@ myguesses;
    Plot[Evaluate[u[t] /. sols], {t, 0, 10}, PlotStyle -> {Black, Blue, Green}]

tweek it as you see fit. As far as an analytic solution, in an act of utter desperation, I would resort to power series.

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3

Thank you jackmell!

For the numerical solution, I have to write out the algorithm and programming in MATLAB. No library could be used.

For the analytic solution, I tried DSolve but It didn't work. I am trying the power series.

Again, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook