Why did a university mistake a sticker for a bomb threat on a student's bike?

In summary: Now how would you know about terrorist training? There is a lot of literature on improvised munitions.
TheStatutoryApe
This Bike is a Pipe Bomb...

In this age of metal detectors and terror alert lists, a loophole in national security has been exposed in sleepy Portland on a TriMet bus...if you believe terrorists are kind enough to label their bombs.

At 4:24 pm last Thursday, April 13, a westbound No. 15 bus stopped for Ben Leavitt at the corner of Southeast 38th Avenue and Belmont Street. Leavitt, 25, secured his black 10-speed on the bike rack, then put one foot on the first step of the bus.

Leavitt says the driver yelled, "Get your bike off my bus!" When he asked why, the driver pointed to a sticker on his bike. It bore the name of one of Leavitt's favorite bands, the Florida folk-punk group "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb."
http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3224/7453
This just seems ridiculous. The older story of a similar incident is even more so ridiculous though...
Ohio University will reimburse a graduate student for a bicycle that was destroyed after officials mistakenly believed a sticker displaying the name of a punk band was a bomb threat. The band's name is "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb."

A university attorney says the replacement cost of the seven-year-old touring bike is between $800 and $1,300.

The sticker on Patrick Hanlin's bike led authorities on March Fifth to shut down four campus buildings, block off streets and summon a bomb squad from Columbus. The bomb experts destroyed the bike to find no bomb inside.

In an e-mail, Hanlin had asked university officials to consider replacing the bike. A charge of inducing panic had been filed against Hanlin, who is from of Three Rivers, Michigan, but it was later dropped.
http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=4707014

And here's a pic and description of the sticker...
http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/PROD/bicycle/mcs134?utm_source=froogle
Who the heck is going to think that a terrorist goes out and has vinyl stickers printed up to label their bombs with let alone label them so specifically?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who the heck is going to think that a terrorist goes out and has vinyl stickers printed up to label their bombs with let alone label them so specifically?

Agreed. And who would think a terrorist would be stupid enough to put c4 in his sneakers and try to light it up with a match?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Agreed. And who would think a terrorist would be stupid enough to put c4 in his sneakers and try to light it up with a match?
That's called improvised munitions and is something that terrorists are trained in. Have you ever read a book on improvised munitions? Exploding candy bars, exploding beds, exploding whistles... I don't remember ever seeing anyone trained to have people print up labels for their bombs though. Uhoh... look out for the BMX bomber folks. Just check and see if there's a sticker on the thing to tell if it's a bomb ok?

That's called improvised munitions and is something that terrorists are trained in.

If you are trying to detonate c4 with a match, your not very well trained. That's all I was getting at. Terrorists are stupid too, you'd be supprised.

cyrusabdollahi said:
If you are trying to detonate c4 with a match, your not very well trained. That's all I was getting at. Terrorists are stupid too, you'd be supprised.
Lol... sorry. I was thinking about as clearly on that as if I were trying to light c4 with a match.:biggrin:

cyrusabdollahi said:

Now how would you know about terrorist training? :wink:

I'm getting me one of those! Tempting fate? maybe, but I think it'd be a laugh.
Probably best insure the bike first though... :uhh:

1. What is "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb"?

"This Bike is a Pipe Bomb" is the name of a folk-punk band from Pensacola, Florida. They are known for their DIY approach to music and their politically charged lyrics.

2. Why is the band named "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb"?

The band's name is a reference to the sticker commonly found on handmade bicycles to prevent them from being mistaken for explosives. It is also a metaphor for the band's anti-capitalist and anti-consumerist message.

3. What genre of music does "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb" play?

The band's music is often described as folk-punk, a genre that combines elements of folk music with punk rock. They also incorporate elements of country and bluegrass into their sound.

4. Is "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb" still together?

No, the band officially disbanded in 2011. However, they still have a strong following and their music continues to be influential in the folk-punk scene.

5. What are some popular songs by "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb"?

Some popular songs by the band include "This Bike is a Pipe Bomb", "Jack Johnson", "The Argument", and "The Black Panther Song".

Back