Should Individuals Have the Right to Choose Their Own Cosmetic Surgery?

• Thread starter NewScientist
  • Start date
In summary, the motion is to oppose cosmetic surgery on the grounds that it is not necessary and should not be funded by the government.
NewScientist
Just had this motion given to me as the one I must oppose in a Senate Debating Competition.

Was hoping you wise-seeing oracles could cast some original light on this issue.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, unfortunately, we're not enough of oracles here to read your mind. You actually need to post the issue. :biggrin:

The issue is :

"This house would nip-tuck" i.e. is cosmetic surgery right?

There are some for whom it should be mandatory.

I'm amazed at what congress sees fit to legislate on.

NewScientist said:
Just had this motion given to me as the one I must oppose in a Senate Debating Competition.
Was hoping you wise-seeing oracles could cast some original light on this issue.

I was so excited thinking this was going to be about the show Nip-Tuck. Love that show.

NewScientist said:
The issue is :

"This house would nip-tuck" i.e. is cosmetic surgery right?
Oh! That seems an odd way to describe the topic. :bugeye: I didn't understand at all what houses and "nip-tuck" have to do with one another. :smile: I thought it might be something about home improvement. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that there are generally two types of cosmetic surgery, and this might help you with preparing your position and arguments. There is cosmetic (plastic) surgery that can repair congenital defects or injuries; for example, cleft palates or severe burn scars. Then there is cosmetic surgery that is entirely for superficial appearances such as the tummy tucks and facelift type things. I would make sure you address those two categories, because the controversy usually falls on the latter, but people forget about the former.

Nip-tuck is taken to mean (I believe for the purposes of tthis debate) on purely cosmetic surgery i.e. rhinoplasts and tucks etc

If someone wants cosmetic surgery let them get cosmetic surgery. As long as I don't have to pay for it you can do what ever you want to your body as long as boob enhancement is part of the package.
I love my new penile implant, and I've gotten nothing but compliments on the turtle tuck.

Related to Should Individuals Have the Right to Choose Their Own Cosmetic Surgery?

What is "This House Would Nip-Tuck"?

"This House Would Nip-Tuck" is a debate topic that refers to the idea of making small, superficial changes to improve something or someone's appearance.

What are some common arguments for "This House Would Nip-Tuck"?

Some common arguments for "This House Would Nip-Tuck" include the belief that physical appearance can have a significant impact on one's confidence and opportunities, and that small changes can lead to overall improvements in self-esteem and mental well-being.

What are some counterarguments against "This House Would Nip-Tuck"?

Some counterarguments against "This House Would Nip-Tuck" include the idea that true self-confidence and self-worth should not be based on physical appearance, and that the pressure to conform to societal beauty standards can be damaging to one's mental health.

Are there any ethical implications to "This House Would Nip-Tuck"?

Yes, there are ethical implications to "This House Would Nip-Tuck". Some argue that it promotes a superficial and appearance-based society, while others argue that it is a personal choice and should not be judged by others.

What is the role of science in the debate over "This House Would Nip-Tuck"?

The role of science in the debate over "This House Would Nip-Tuck" is to provide evidence and research on the potential effects of cosmetic procedures on physical and mental health. It can also inform the discussion on societal beauty standards and body image issues.