Amplifying a He-Ne Laser: Tips and Guidelines for Beginners

• Thread starter HeNe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of laser amplification for a He-Ne laser used in the cutting business. The person is looking for advice on how to increase the power of their laser to cut thicker materials, but they are hesitant due to fear of damaging the device. Suggestions are made to consider using a different type of laser, such as a C02 or diode laser, and to seek advice from a usenet group and a guru in the field. The conversation also brings up the possibility that the HeNe may be used solely as an alignment beam and not for cutting.
HeNe
This is not a homework

Hello
I am working on laser amplification(first time) for a He-Ne laser (160 cm ,80 watt)
But i don't know how to start the study because i am afraid of harming the device
I have so many ideas in my mind for example :
Making a q-switched laser ,or make anther laser and the pumping part of it is the He-Ne laser
i need to amplify it to reach 200 watt...
please any idea or where should i start

it is very important HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums HeNe!

I've never heard of HeNe lasers at the power levels you are talking about. What is it you ultimately want to use the laser beam for? It might be better to use something other than a HeNe.

thank you for your welcome

i am working in cutting biz (plastic, wood) and i used a He-Ne laser

my main work is in art
and now i need to amplify the power of my laser so i can cut 1 deism of silver

i can't by any other device because i have so many loans on me [because of the sickens of my father]

and these is the main reason of trying to amplify the power of my laser...
and i have a Friend that told me about this website.. so i will try to remember my old physics courses
i am 55
and it is hard to remember every thing

From a quick internet search, I have the impression that C02 lasers are more common for woodcutting. It might be possible that diode lasers can also be used for this. As diode lasers are about the most efficient lasers available, they would be lower cost for a given power level.

There may be a few people here at Physics Forums who can give good advice on this, but I'll suggest you try asking at the usenet group alt.lasers :
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.lasers/topics
(You'll need either to create a google account -- it's free -- to post to alt.lasers, or have some other way to access usenet groups)

A number of regulars in alt.lasers build lasers as a hobby, and the "guru" of the group is Sam Goldwasser. His website has a little information on laser cutting with C02 lasers:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserco2.htm#co2mcwl
(Read the sections on "small wood cutting lasers" and "large wood cutting lasers")

You can also poke around on Sam's site wherever it mentions cutting and wood:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=cutting+wood+site:repairfaq.org&btnG=Search

Good luck!

Mark

p.s. I am wondering if your setup uses the HeNe strictly as a visible alignment beam, and the real cutting is done by a C02 or other high-power laser?

What is the purpose of "This is not a homework"?

The purpose of "This is not a homework" is to clarify that the work being presented is not a task assigned for academic credit or evaluation.

Is "This is not a homework" a common phrase in the scientific community?

Yes, "This is not a homework" is a commonly used phrase in the scientific community to distinguish between research and academic assignments.

Can "This is not a homework" be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, "This is not a homework" can be used in any field where work is being presented, such as art, business, or literature.

How can I differentiate between "This is not a homework" and actual homework?

The main difference between "This is not a homework" and actual homework is that the former is not assigned for academic credit or evaluation, whereas the latter is. Additionally, "This is not a homework" may involve original research or experimentation, whereas homework typically involves applying concepts or theories learned in a class.

Why is it important to clarify that "This is not a homework"?

It is important to clarify that "This is not a homework" to avoid any confusion or misinterpretation about the purpose and intent of the work being presented. It also allows for a clear distinction between academic assignments and original research or projects.