Struggling with Basic Math: How to Overcome Embarrassment and Build Confidence

• Thread starter Edin_Dzeko
  • Start date
In summary, this freshman in college struggles with basic math and is worried he might embarrass himself one day. He tries to practice with computational math but has difficulty with things that don't require a calculator.
I used to be quite good in mental calculations, but I forgot most of it. Recently, I wanted to improve my mental skills, and I've found the perfect way to do it.

Basically, it is calculating prime factorizations of numbers which have at most 3 digits. You'll find these numbers anywhere: when looking at the clock and seeing that it is 3:30 gives you the number 330, the number of the train you happen to sit in, the channel on the TV that you're watching,...
So I made a commitment to myself, every time I saw a three digit number (and I had the time to do it), I would calculate it's prime factorization. It's great: you'll be doing a lot of divisions and multiplications for it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Factoring the time is fun.

Random http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_problem" are fun too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edin_Dzeko said:
I did the 85mph divided by 5 in my head.

I know 5 is 10/2,

so I do it by dividing by 10 and then multiplying by 2 (which is much easier! :wink:) …

85 x 5

= 8-and-a-half x 2 = 16 + 1 = 17 :smile:
Now one last question with multiplication / dividing.
See how 4x5 = 20? So 400 x 500 =? 20xxx but how do I determine the amount of zero's after the 20? what's the trick?

It's the total number of 0s (except of course you have to be careful because the 20 has an extra 0) …

frankly, I think most people write it down and count very carefully, because it's so easy to make a mistake. :redface:

Practice, practice, practice.

Practicing in different places might also help, but always keep practicing. Consider it part of your entertainment.

Edin_Dzeko said:
This post is similar to this guys: http://https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=369870&highlight=I%27m+bad+at+math"

----------------
Long story short, I'm a freshman in college but I struggle with the really BASIC BASIC stuff in math. The other day, I nearly embarrassed myself in-front of a few students. The teacher asked me what's some 3 digit number divided by another 3 digit number and it was one of those "you don't NEED a calculator for" and I didn't know it. I was sweating buckets and the place was dead silent with everyone staring. I tried to play it off as if I didn't understand what she was saying until about 5 minutes later that I finally got the answer. The point is, I struggle with the basic stuff in math. With my calculator I can just punch stuff in on exams and I'm good to go. (that's how I got this far). But the simple stuff you don't need calculators for, I struggle with. I've done well on math before and when I use my calculator I can get things done. But without a calculator, I don't know the basics.

Ex, if someone asks what's 7x8 and I don't have a calculator I won't be able to tell them. And I'm afraid that might embarrass me in public one day. Also I don't know how to add / subtract 3 digits without a calculator. I can't help my little sister with her 5th grade homework unless I jump on Google or use a calculator. I can't quickly tell time on an analog clock and when I look at a digital one, ex supposed the time is 1:16 and you want to know how many more minutes 'til 2:00 I can't tell you it quickly. I'll have to do it in my head for a bit. When I buy something, I can't do the math in my head so I never double check if I get the correct change or not. I always take it as is. When I do try to do the math, I just focus on the dollars and ignore the change.

I'm I suffering from something? This has really been bothering me a lot these few days. It has completely killed my self confidence and motivation. :frown:

My guess: It's either one of two things...

1. Laziness
2. Innumeracy

Regarding Innumeracy: A very tiny percentage of the population (less than 5%, I think I've read) have practically no intuition for numbers or math. If you can imagine the worst possible case of dyslexia, but with numbers instead of words...that's the kind of innumeracy I'm talking about.

That said, most people who are poor at math are just lazy. However, there is that tiny percentage of people for whom no amount of studying will ever lead to mathematical competence at any level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Innumeracy. There's a kind of innumeracy related to spatial manipulation, too. Like, you could ask someone how high the top of a door jam is, and he/she wouldn't be able to make even a decent guess. The person might be 6 feet tall and not have to duck his head as he goes through the door, yet he might guess the door jam is 5 feet tall...

Edin_Dzeko said:
Yeah. Thank you ALL for the advice. I'll look online for some basic math stuff. I like the idea of asking myself questions as I walk outside / through the supermarket and stuff.
On that note, comparison shopping is a pretty good application. Calculating the price per unit quantity of food (e.g. price per quart for beverages, price per pound or per ounce for other things, etc.) can potentially save you money and it's also good practice at estimating quotients.

Just do it. Next time you have a homework assignment in anything, put your calculator away and do it all by hand. Do it enough and it will become second nature. Its very typical that in high level classes you are not allowed a calculator for exams quizzes so a little practice now will have big rewards later.