This problem is driving me CRAZY(CALCULAS)

• Thread starter BU192000
  • Start date
In summary, in order to maximize profit, the Gritz-Charlston hotel should charge $121 per day for a room. This can be found by writing the profit function and taking its derivative, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the price.
BU192000
Ok, so I've looked through all of my notes and throughout the textbook and I cannot find how to do this problem. I'm sure it's probably pretty easy, but I just can't even figure out how to start. Here it is:

Gritz-Charlston is a 300 unit luxury hotel. All rooms are occupied when the hotel charges $80 per day for a room. For every increase of x dollars in the daily room rate, there are x rooms vacant. Each occupied room costs $22 per day to service and maintain. What should the hotel charge per day in order to maximize profit?

If anyone could just get me started it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, write down the profit function P. The key word is 'maximize' which means you should take the derivative of P and set it equal to zero (slope = 0) to find the price the hotel should charge.

So P is a function of price.

Thanks, could you give me the equation to start with?

Lol, no. That's your job! Let me see what you come up with, and we'll go from there.

done

rooms: 300
vacant rooms = increment of price: x
occupied rooms: y = 300-x
constraint: x<=300

profit per room: (80+x)*y = (80+x)*(300-x)
expenses: 22*y = 22*(300-x)

total profit: per room + expenses
total profit: (80+x)*(300-x) - 22*(300-x)
total profit: 24000 + 220x - x^2 - 6600 + 22x
total profit: - x^2 + 242x + 17400

optimize that one - differentiate and solve
diff: -2x + 242 + 0
242 - 2x= 0 =>
x = 121

Profit is 32041 per day/night.

Don't give out answers...

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the slope of a curve, determining the maximum and minimum values of a function, and calculating areas and volumes.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is an essential tool in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It allows us to model and predict real-world phenomena, make accurate measurements, and optimize processes. It is also the foundation for higher-level mathematics courses.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change, while integral calculus deals with the study of areas and volumes. Both branches are closely related and are used together to solve problems.

4. Why is Calculus considered difficult?

Calculus requires a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and other mathematical concepts. It also involves abstract thinking and requires practice to master. Many people find it challenging because it involves a new way of thinking and problem-solving.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus?

The key to understanding Calculus is practice. Make sure you have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and other prerequisite topics. Practice solving problems and try to understand the concepts behind each step. Also, seek help from teachers, tutors, or online resources if you need clarification or additional support.