Thomas Calc 11th ed., Problem 5.63

• Thread starter noclueatol
  • Start date
In summary, the values of a and b that maximizes the value of \int_{a}^{b}(x-x^{2}){dx} is when x is in the interval [0, 1].
noclueatol
I'm just working through this book for self-study, so I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Homework Statement

What values of a and b maximize the value of [itex]\int_{a}^{b}(x-x^{2}){dx}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

(Hint: Where is the integrand positive?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the integrand is positive for 0 < x < 1, and the answer in the back of the book is a=0, b=1. That gives a value of (1/2 - 1/3) = 1/6.

But the problem asks about the expression as a whole, not the integrand. And it doesn't specify that a<b. For large values of x, the integrand will take on a large negative value. Then if you reverse the order of the limits, you get a large positive value. So why wouldn't, say, a=10,000 and b=1 yield a much larger value for the integral than the given answer? Or is it always assumed that a<b?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
noclueatol said:
I'm just working through this book for self-study, so I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Homework Statement

What values of a and b maximize the value of [itex]\int_{a}^{b}(x-x^{2}){dx}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

(Hint: Where is the integrand positive?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the integrand is positive for 0 < x < 1, and the answer in the back of the book is a=0, b=1. That gives a value of (1/2 - 1/3) = 1/6.

But the problem asks about the expression as a whole, not the integrand. And it doesn't specify that a<b. For large values of x, the integrand will take on a large negative value. Then if you reverse the order of the limits, you get a large positive value. So why wouldn't, say, a=10,000 and b=1 yield a much larger value for the integral than the given answer? Or is it always assumed that a<b?

I believe that they're tacitly assuming that a and b in the limits of integration are in the order a < b.

noclueatol said:
I'm just working through this book for self-study, so I hope this isn't a stupid question...

But the problem asks about the expression as a whole, not the integrand

Right, but a Riemann sum will have negative terms when the integrand is negative.

Mark44 said:
I believe that they're tacitly assuming that a and b in the limits of integration are in the order a < b.

So are you saying that I'm correct that I could get a larger value for the integral with b>a, but that would be violating the tacit assumption?

Bacle2 said:
Right, but a Riemann sum will have negative terms when the integrand is negative.

Yes, but won't reversing the limits make the integral positive?

Definite integrals are usually written with the lower integration limit being less than the upper limit, and I think it's reasonable to assume that that's what Thomas had in mind for this problem.

The value of the integral will be largest on the largest interval for which the integrand is greater than or equal to zero: namely, the interval [0, 1].

Don't overthink this.

Mark44 said:
Don't overthink this.

I wouldn't if it was a drill problem, but as the high number indicates, it's in the "theory" part of the exercises, which sort of encourages second thoughts. Also, the concept of reversing the limits to change the sign of the integral was introduced in this same section, so I would have thought they expected me to use it in solving the problems.

Oh well, if all I'm missing is a tacit assumption, then I guess I'm satisfied that I understood the material. Thanks for the responses.

If you reverse the limits of integration,you will basically be seeking to

maximize ∫ (x2-x)dx, instead of ∫ x-x2dx .

This seems a different problem, tho maybe I misunderstood

your goal. Still, the idea would be the same, in that the intervals that maximize

your integral are those where x2-x >0 .

What is the problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus?

Problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus is a question related to the topic of vector calculus. It involves finding the curl and divergence of a given vector field and evaluating them at a specific point.

What is the difficulty level of problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus?

The difficulty level of problem 5.63 can vary for different individuals, but it is generally considered to be a medium level problem in vector calculus. It requires a good understanding of vector operations and their applications.

What are the key concepts involved in solving problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus?

The key concepts involved in solving problem 5.63 are vector calculus operations such as curl and divergence, as well as the concept of partial derivatives. It also requires knowledge of vector fields and their properties.

How can I approach problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus?

To approach problem 5.63, it is important to first understand the given vector field and the point at which the curl and divergence need to be evaluated. Then, use the appropriate formulas for calculating curl and divergence and solve the problem step by step.

Are there any helpful resources for solving problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video tutorials, practice problems, and study guides that can help with solving problem 5.63 in the 11th edition of Thomas Calculus. It is also recommended to refer to the textbook and lecture notes for a better understanding of the concept.