Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well Energies

• Thread starter hADAR1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energies
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energies of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th excited states in a three dimensional cubical box and determining which states are degenerate. The equation used for this is -\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\nabla^{2}\Psi + V\Psi = E\Psi, and the energy eigenvalues for each state are given by E = \frac{\pi^{2}\hbar^{2}}{2mL^{2}}(n_{1}^{2} + n_{2}^{2} + n_{3}^{2}). The conversation also discusses the n values used for each excited state and how
hADAR1

Homework Statement

So the question asks me to find the energies of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th excited states in a three dimensional cubical box and to state which are degenerate.

Homework Equations

-[tex]\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}[/tex][tex]\nabla^{2}[/tex][tex]\Psi[/tex] + V[tex]\Psi[/tex] = E[tex]\Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I derived [tex]E[/tex] = [tex]\frac{\pi^{2}\hbar^{2}}{2mL^{2}}[/tex]([tex]n_{1}^{2}[/tex] + [tex]n_{2}^{2}[/tex] + [tex]n_{3}^{2}[/tex]) for a cubical box. I think this is correct, so the derivation isn't where my question lies.
I'm having a little trouble knowing what n values to use for the different energy states. For ground state my book says it's [111]. It then says that for the first excited state it is either [112], [121], or [211] and goes into talking about degeneracy. I think I understand everything up until this point. But I am confused as to how I keep going to subsequent excited states...

Would the second excited state be [113], [131], and [311]? or would it be [122], [221], and [212]?
Would the third excited state be [114], [141], and [411]? or would it be [222]? or something even weirder like [123], [132], [213], [231], [312], and [321]

So on and so forth for the 4[tex]^{th}[/tex] and 5[tex]^{th}[/tex] excited states.
I just don't get when to increase what n.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I looked around the forums and didn't find anyone else asking this question. I feel like I did the hard part (the derivation) correctly, but am stuck on the simple part. QM has its ways of being frustrating at times...

Physics news on Phys.org
The next energy eigenvalues would be [122], [212], [221].

The easiest method of doing "Which excited state comes next" problems is to just put the numbers into the [tex]n_i[/tex] in your energy eigenvalue.

[113]:
[tex]
\begin{array}{lll}E_{113}&=&\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}\left((1)^2+(1)^2+(3)^2\right) \\ \\ \,&=&E_{0}\cdot11
\end{array}
[/tex]

[122]:
[tex]
\begin{array}{lll}E_{122}&=&\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}\left((1)^2+(2)^2+(2)^2\right) \\ \\ \,&=&E_{0}\cdot9
\end{array}
[/tex]

where [tex]E_0=\pi^2\hbar^2/2mL^2[/tex]. So there is a lower energy in the [122] state than in the [113] state.

Oh ok, that makes a lot of sense. I feel stupid now lol.

Thanks a lot for the help though, I honestly just wasn't seeing it that way...

I know this is a really old post but I had the exact same problem and just wanted to say thanks for the help!

Dear student,

First of all, great job on deriving the expression for the energies in a three-dimensional infinite potential well! It looks correct to me.

To answer your question about the excited states, the principle quantum numbers n1, n2, and n3 represent the number of nodes in the x, y, and z directions, respectively. So for the ground state, [111] means there is one node in each direction. For the first excited state, [112] means there is one node in the x direction and two nodes in the y direction, and so on.

For the second excited state, it would be [113] for one node in x, one node in y, and three nodes in z. You can also think of it as [122] for two nodes in y and two nodes in z, or [221] for two nodes in x and two nodes in y. All of these combinations give the same energy, so they are degenerate.

For the third excited state, it would be [114], [123], [132], [213], [231], or [312], all of which have three nodes in total (one in each direction). This is because for the third excited state, the total number of nodes (n1 + n2 + n3) must be equal to three.

So for subsequent excited states, you just need to make sure that the total number of nodes is equal to the principle quantum number of that state. This will give you all the possible combinations for the quantum numbers n1, n2, and n3.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Good luck with your studies!

What is a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well?

A Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics used to describe the behavior of particles confined in a three-dimensional space with infinite potential barriers. It is a simplified model used to understand the behavior of quantum particles in a confined space.

What are the main properties of a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well?

The main properties of a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well include:

• Particles are confined within a specific region in space
  • The potential energy within the well is infinite, meaning that particles cannot escape
  • Particles can only exist at discrete energy levels within the well
  • The probability of finding a particle within the well is highest at the center and decreases towards the edges

How are the energy levels in a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well calculated?

The energy levels in a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well are calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of quantum particles. The solution to this equation gives the allowed energy levels for particles within the well.

What is the significance of Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well energies in quantum mechanics?

Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well energies are significant because they provide a simplified model for understanding the behavior of particles in a confined space. This concept is also used to explain the energy levels and quantum states of more complex systems, such as atoms and molecules.

Can a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well exist in the physical world?

No, a Three Dimensional Infinite-Potential Well is a theoretical concept and cannot exist in the physical world. It is used as a simplified model for understanding the behavior of particles in a confined space and is not a physical structure that can be created or observed.