How to Add Displacement Vectors Using the Component Method

In summary, the homework statement said to solve d1 and d2 displacement, than solve d2 and d3 displacement. I tried to do that but it didn't work and I need help.
elleleeanne

Homework Statement

Use the component method to add the following displacement vectors.
D1= 25 m [N 30 W], D2= 30 m [N 40 E], D3= 35 m [S 25 W]

Homework Equations

I know all of the equations for vx, vy and the five equations. I also know sin, cos, tan and velocity, displacement equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to solve d1 and d2 displacement, than solve d2 and d3 displacement. Using those to displacements solve for the whole graph. Did not end up working for me. I need help, please and thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the component of each vector to the North, then add them together. That is the component to the North of your final resultant vector. Then take the component of each vector to the West, then add them together. That is the component to the West of your final resultant vector.

omoplata said:
Take the component of each vector to the North, then add them together. That is the component to the North of your final resultant vector. Then take the component of each vector to the West, then add them together. That is the component to the West of your final resultant vector.

I did that and I got the wrong answer?

Post what you did here. Let's see where you went wrong.

omoplata said:
Post what you did here. Let's see where you went wrong.

D1 & D2
dx=25cos30 = 21.65 w+22.98 E = 1.33 E dy=26sin30+30sin40= 12.5 N+19.28 N = 31.78 N

c^2=a^2+b^2 C=31.8 m
tan= 1.33/31.78 =2.41 therefore, 31.8 m [N 2.4 E]

D1 & D3
dx=25cos60W+35cos65W =27.3 W Dy=25sin60N+35sin65=10.07 S

C2=27.32+10.072= 29.1 m
Tan= 27.3/10.07 =69.75 therefore, 29.1 m [W 69.75 S]

Then it just seems to go downhill from there...

Does [N 30 W] mean 30 degrees to the West from North, or does it mean 30 degrees to the North from West?

I thought it meant 30 degrees to the West from North.

I see that you've tried to find the resultant vectors of pairs D1&D2 and then D1&D3.

It'll be easier if you add the components of D1, D2 and D3, all at once.

Otherwise, if you find the resultant the D1&D2, then you have to add the components of that resultant vector with D3 to get the final resultant vector.

omoplata said:
Does [N 30 W] mean 30 degrees to the West from North, or does it mean 30 degrees to the North from West?

I thought it meant 30 degrees to the West from North.

I see that you've tried to find the resultant vectors of pairs D1&D2 and then D1&D3.

It'll be easier if you add the components of D1, D2 and D3, all at once.

Otherwise, if you find the resultant the D1&D2, then you have to add the components of that resultant vector with D3 to get the final resultant vector.

How would you add all the vectors together at once? just using the dx method? so
dx=25cos30E+30cos40W+35cos65E
and dy=25sin20N+30sin40N+35sin65S

But then how would you use the c2=a2+b2?

Yeah, that's the idea. Add all the East and West components together and get one value for dx. Add all the North and South components together and get one value for dy.

Then [itex]c^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex].

I still don't know what [N 30 W] means. Without knowing that I can't check wheter your answers are correct or not.

omoplata said:
Yeah, that's the idea. Add all the East and West components together and get one value for dx. Add all the North and South components together and get one value for dy.

Then [itex]c^2 = dx^2 + dy^2[/itex].

I still don't know what [N 30 W] means. Without knowing that I can't check wheter your answers are correct or not.

I solved it and got a completely wrong answer. the N 30 W means angle 30 is closer to the north direction.

elleleeanne said:
the N 30 W means angle 30 is closer to the north direction.

In that case you've resolved it to components the wrong way. Check your "sin"s and "cos"s.

Look at "Resolution into components" in http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html" page.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the concept of displacement vectors?

Displacement vectors refer to the distance and direction of an object's movement from its initial position to its final position.

How are displacement vectors represented?

Displacement vectors are typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of movement, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude of displacement.

What are the three displacement vectors?

The three displacement vectors are the x-displacement, y-displacement, and z-displacement. These represent the movement in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

How are displacement vectors calculated?

Displacement vectors can be calculated by subtracting the final position from the initial position in each direction. For example, the x-displacement is calculated by subtracting the final x-coordinate from the initial x-coordinate.

What is the importance of displacement vectors in physics?

Displacement vectors are important in physics as they allow us to accurately describe and analyze the movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in calculating velocity and acceleration, which are essential concepts in physics.