Three doubts in a paragraph on the equilibrium of Incompressible fluids

In summary, In the section on Equilibrium of Incompressible Fluids in chapter 2 of Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics, he discusses external forces acting on fluid volumes and how they relate to the equilibrium of the fluid. He explains that external force per unit volume is the force acting on all six faces of a fluid volume element. He then goes on to use this concept to derive equations for pressure and force in the fluid. Finally, he addresses doubts about the source of pressure and external force and explains how they are related to the equilibrium of the fluid.
Adesh
Homework Statement
See the main body.
Relevant Equations
We don’t need them.
These are the images from Sommerfeld’s Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol 2 chapter 2, section 6, Equilibrium of Incompressible Fluids.
IMG_1062_1.jpg

Image 1

IMG_1063_1.jpg

Image 2

Doubt 1 : What does it mean for a force to act on a fluid volume? Force acts on a point, force may act on a surface but I’m unable to understand what it means “external force per unit of fluid volume”. Did Sommerfeld mean that ##\mathbf F## acts on all six faces of that fluid volume element ?

Doubt 2 : I really couldn’t understand what happened after equation 3a. Why we divided by ##\Delta \tau## and how ##F_x## came in equation 3b ?

Doubt 3 : How equation 3b and 4 “obviously” constitute a necessary condition for the equilibrium? I’m unable to understand how ##grad~ p = \mathbf F## is a necessary condition for the equilibrium.

Please explain the above said doubts to me, if my question is too broad please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Adesh said:
Homework Statement:: See the main body.
Relevant Equations:: We don’t need them.

These are the images from Sommerfeld’s Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Vol 2 chapter 2, section 6, Equilibrium of Incompressible Fluids.
Image 1
Image 2

Doubt 1 : What does it mean for a force to act on a fluid volume? Force acts on a point, force may act on a surface but I’m unable to understand what it means “external force per unit of fluid volume”. Did Sommerfeld mean that ##\mathbf F## acts on all six faces of that fluid volume element ?

No, he meant exactly what he said. It is external force per unit volume. For example, the force of gravity per unit volume would be ##\rho \vec g## where ##\rho## is the density and ##\vec g## the gravitational field.

Doubt 2 : I really couldn’t understand what happened after equation 3a. Why we divided by ##\Delta \tau## and how ##F_x## came in equation 3b ?

We divided in order to get rid of the volume element and obtain a differential equation for p. ##F_x## is the x-component of ##\vec F##. Equation 3b is based on equilibrium of the fluid.

Doubt 3 : How equation 3b and 4 “obviously” constitute a necessary condition for the equilibrium? I’m unable to understand how ##grad~ p = \mathbf F## is a necessary condition for the equilibrium.

That equation is a direct consequence of force equilibrium on each fluid element.

Likes Adesh
Orodruin said:
We divided in order to get rid of the volume element and obtain a differential equation for p. ##F_x## is the x-component of ##\vec F## . Equation 3b is based on equilibrium of the fluid.
I thought that the pressure at the ##x##-faces of rectangular cell was caused due to the external force only. I mean to say that ##p(x)## at the negative ##x## surface was caused because we had a ##x## component of the force. So, for me invoking ##F_x## in the summation of pressures at opposite faces seems a quite hard thing to conceive. According to me, pressures at opposite faces should cancel each other by themselves.

Is there any way by which I can be helped in changing my perspective regarding the above situation? I mean can you help me?

How pressure can be there in the absence of any external force on fluid?

Adesh said:
I thought that the pressure at the xxx-faces of rectangular cell was caused due to the external force only
External force here means any force external to the cell in question...in particular from the cell adjacent. In limit of infinitesimal cells this gives the smooth pressure function.

Likes Adesh
hutchphd said:
External force here means any force external to the cell in question...in particular from the cell adjacent. In limit of infinitesimal cells this gives the smooth pressure function.
What is the source of ##p(x) \Delta y \Delta z## and of ##F_x##?

I believe the Fx represents any external field (like say gravity) and p(x) the contact pressure from the adjacent fluid (in the infinitesimal limit ultimately).

Likes Chestermiller and Adesh
hutchphd said:
I believe the Fx represents any external field (like say gravity) and p(x) the contact pressure from the adjacent fluid (in the infinitesimal limit ultimately).
Thank you.

Likes hutchphd
Adesh said:
According to me, pressures at opposite faces should cancel each other by themselves.
This is only true if the pressure is the same on both sides. This is not necessarily the case and for small ##\Delta x##, the pressures will differ by approximately ##\Delta x\, \partial_x p##.

Likes Adesh

1. What is the definition of equilibrium in incompressible fluids?

The equilibrium of incompressible fluids refers to a state where the fluid is at rest or moving at a constant velocity, with no internal forces or moments acting on it.

2. How does the continuity equation relate to the equilibrium of incompressible fluids?

The continuity equation, which states that the rate of mass flow into a system must equal the rate of mass flow out of the system, is a fundamental principle in the study of incompressible fluids. It is used to determine the conditions for equilibrium in these fluids.

3. What are the three doubts in a paragraph on the equilibrium of incompressible fluids?

The three doubts in a paragraph on the equilibrium of incompressible fluids are: 1) the definition of equilibrium, 2) the role of the continuity equation, and 3) the conditions for equilibrium in these fluids.

4. How does pressure affect the equilibrium of incompressible fluids?

In incompressible fluids, pressure plays a crucial role in maintaining equilibrium. Pressure acts as a balancing force against other forces, such as gravity or external forces, to keep the fluid at rest or in constant motion.

5. Can the equilibrium of incompressible fluids be disrupted?

Yes, the equilibrium of incompressible fluids can be disrupted by external forces or changes in the conditions of the fluid, such as changes in temperature or pressure. This can result in the fluid moving or changing its state of motion.