1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three linear first-order ODEs

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Out of a set of differential equations with boundary conditions, there are three (first order) equations I couldn't solve. These are:

2. Relevant equations
    1. [tex]
    \frac {dy} {dx} = \sqrt{x + y}, y(1) = 0.
    [/tex]
    2. [tex]
    \frac {dy} {dx} = 2y(x \sqrt{y} - 1), y(0) = 1.
    [/tex]
    3. [tex]
    2x^2 \frac {dy} {dx} = x^2 + y^2, y(2) = 4.
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first two can probably be solved with a nice substitution. I tried u = x + y for the first one, but this gave me the equation [tex]\frac {du} {dx} = 1 + \sqrt{u}[/tex], which can be solved for u to get, after resubstituting, [tex]2 \sqrt{x+y} - 2 log[1+\sqrt{x+y} - 2 + 2 log[2] = x[/tex], which doesn't seem solvable for y[x].
    For the second one I tried substituting [tex]u = x \sqrt{y} [/tex] and [tex]u = x \sqrt{y} - 1 [/tex], but neither gave an equation that could be written in terms of u only (without x or y).
    For the third one I only noticed that y=x is a general solution, but it doesn't agree with the initial condition y(2) = 4, and neither does any manipulation such as y=2x or y=x+2.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2
    By the way, Mathematica could only solve for (2.) and gave the solution:
    [tex] y[x] = \frac {1}{(1+x+e^{x} C[1])^{2}} [/tex].

For the first one it couldn't find a solution and for the third one it gave an output of a couple of dozen of lines of amongst other Bessel functions.

Another method I tried was writing the equation in the form
    [tex] a(x,y) + b(x,y) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex] and then trying to find a constant E(x,y) such that [tex] \frac{\partial E}{\partial x} = a(x,y), \frac{\partial E}{\partial y} = b(x,y) [/tex]. However, this requires equality of mixed second-order derivatives, and this is not the case for either of the equations. Neither could I easily see a constant [tex] \phi(x,y) [/tex] to multiply the above equation with such that [tex] \phi a(x,y) [/tex] and [tex] \phi b(x,y) [/tex] do satisfy.
    (I'm not sure what this method is called in English; it was mentioned in my Dutch textbook)

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    The first one can't be solved for y with elementary functions, so that's about as far as you can go.

Apparently the second one can be written as a Bernoulli equation according to WolframAlpha, and that's how you would get the solution that Mathematica gave you.

For the third one, y = ux will turn it into a separable equation.
    I think it's interesting how x works in the differential equation, but you can't get it from the general solution...

The method you're talking about is exact differential equations I think; it doesn't look like that method will be helpful for this one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook