Threshold, proton-proton-collision

• Thread starter Abigale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Threshold
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of threshold energy for a proton-proton collision and the production of a K+ meson. It is mentioned that the proton is the lightest baryon and the process may require the weak interaction. There is also discussion about the conservation of electric charge in the reaction.
Abigale
Hello,

I regard a proton-proton collision. (Target at rest.)
Here accrues a [itex]
K^{+}(494)
[/itex]-meson.

I want to callculate the threshold energy.

But I think for callculating the threshold I have to know all participant of the product.
Can i assume, that the protons will not be destroyed?

$$
p~+p~\rightarrow~p~+~p~+~K^{+}
$$

(On the other hand I know, that for producing a [itex]K^{+}[/itex], which contains an [itex]\bar{s}[/itex]-quark, due to strangeness-conservation, a proton must be replaced by an [itex]\lambda(1116)[/itex]-hyperon, which contains an s-quark. )

THX
Abby

Physics news on Phys.org
Baryon number is conserved, and the proton is the lightest baryon. With two protons in the final state (instead of hyperons), the process requires the weak interaction, it should be much more frequent with enough energy to do s sbar production.

Sorry, but the Kaon reaction you write doesn't conserve electric charge

1. What is a threshold in a proton-proton collision?

A threshold in a proton-proton collision refers to the minimum amount of energy required for the collision to produce a particular particle. It is a critical point at which the energy of the collision is high enough to allow for the creation of new particles.

2. How is the threshold energy determined in a proton-proton collision?

The threshold energy in a proton-proton collision is determined by the masses of the particles involved and their corresponding energy-momentum relationship, known as the mass-energy equivalence equation (E=mc^2). The more massive the particles involved, the higher the threshold energy needed for their creation.

3. What happens at the threshold energy in a proton-proton collision?

At the threshold energy, the energy of the colliding protons is transformed into mass and new particles are created. These particles can include mesons, baryons, and other exotic particles that are not typically found in nature.

4. How does the threshold energy affect the outcome of a proton-proton collision?

The threshold energy plays a crucial role in determining the type and number of particles produced in a proton-proton collision. If the energy is below the threshold, no new particles will be created and the collision will not have any significant impact. However, if the energy is above the threshold, new particles will be produced, leading to potential scientific discoveries.

5. Can the threshold energy be manipulated in a proton-proton collision?

The threshold energy in a proton-proton collision is primarily determined by the mass of the particles involved. Therefore, it cannot be manipulated or controlled by scientists. However, the energy of the colliding protons can be adjusted to reach the desired threshold energy for the creation of specific particles.