1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Throwing everything I can at this one

1. Sep 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int \frac{(arcsinx)^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} dx[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First I attempted by parts, that got nowhere. Then, I attempted a u substitution for u = arcsin x, and when that did nothing I attempted one for u = arcsinx^2.

I have no idea what to do with this one. How should I approach the problem?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Is the problem [itex]\int \frac{(arctanx)^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} dx[/itex] or [itex]\int \frac{(arcsinx)^{2}}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}} dx[/itex]?

4. Sep 23, 2011 #3
    arcsin, definitely. Sorry about that.

5. Sep 23, 2011 #4

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Your original intuition looks fine. Set u = arcsinx. du = ...?

6. Sep 23, 2011 #5
    My original intuition of integration by parts?? I didn't think that was the preferred method because I'd have to integrate (1-x^2)^(-1/2) which would just complicate it

7. Sep 23, 2011 #6
    Ok wow, this is an extremely simple substitution problem, provided you actually remember the derivative has a square root in the denominator.

Try doing it thinking it's like the arctan derivative and you will see my frustration.

8. Sep 23, 2011 #7

gb7nash

Homework Helper

If it was, I have no idea how to solve that. You probably won't make that mistake again.

9. Sep 23, 2011 #8
    Numerically. :wink:

10. Sep 23, 2011 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not really a solution for an indefinite integral...

11. Sep 23, 2011 #10
    Touche, I guess...didn't look that closely and missed the lack of limits.

12. Sep 23, 2011 #11
    Integration is getting really difficult for me with all the new techniques I had to learn in like 2 days.

How do you guys decide which method to try first?

13. Sep 23, 2011 #12

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Usually depending on how difficult it looks, you should try to do substitution before you attempt integration by parts.

For example, in your question, you can see a relation between arcsin(x) and 1/sqrt(1-x^2), substitution might work here.

14. Sep 23, 2011 #13
    I have another question.

One of my favorite integrals to solve is actually integral of the arctangent. I like it because it's kind of neat, integrate by parts once, then u-substitution once, it looks good on paper.

However, you need to know it's derivative when you call it u for integration by parts.

I just have it memorized. I don't really intuitively understand how one arrives at the derivative of arctangent. Is it just something that is observable or can it actually be shown?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook