Area & Centroid of Region Bounded by arcsinx & x=1/2

In summary, xarcsinx]^{1/2}_{0} - \displaystyle\int_0^{1/2} {\frac{x}{\sqrt{1=x^2}} dx}= (1/2arcsin(1/2) - 0) + \sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

consider the region bounded by the graphs of y=arcsinx, y=0, x = 1/2.

a) find the area of the region.
b) find the centroid of the region.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^{1/2} {arcsinx dx}[/itex]

u=arcsinx; du = [itex]\frac{1}{1-x^2}dx[/itex]dv=dx ; v=x

xarcsinx][itex]^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] - [itex]\displaystyle\int_0^{1/2} {\frac{x}{\sqrt{1=x^2}} dx}[/itex]

= (1/2arcsin(1/2) - 0) + [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}[/itex]

answer: [itex]\frac{\pi + 6\sqrt{3}-12}{12}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't get that answer.

in my work i have:

xarcsix][itex]^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex]for the other part i get:

[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}} - 1[/itex]which i can see how the last term -1 will go to -12/12, and pi/12 goes if front, but how are the getting the middle term, 6[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

consider the region bounded by the graphs of y=arcsinx, y=0, x = 1/2.

a) find the area of the region.
b) find the centroid of the region.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^{1/2} {arcsinx dx}[/itex]

u=arcsinx; du = [itex]\frac{1}{1-x^2}dx[/itex]

dv=dx ; v=x

xarcsinx][itex]^{0}_{1/2}[/itex] - [itex]\displaystyle\int_0^1/2 {\frac{x}{\sqrt{1=x^2}} dx}[/itex]

= (1/2arcsin(1/2) - 0) + [itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}[/itex]

answer: [itex]\frac{\pi + 6\sqrt{3}-12}{12}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't get that answer.

in my work i have:

x arcsix][itex]^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\pi}{12}[/itex]

for the other part i get:

[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}} - 1[/itex]

which i can see how the last term -1 will go to -12/12, and pi/12 goes if front, but how are the getting the middle term, 6[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]?
It seems to me that this would be much easier to do by looking at x as a function of y.

I think for this problem, it's just easier to do a substitution at the beginning, x=sinθ. Then you just do a integration by parts.

Note this only works because the limits of integration are between 0 and 1/2. Also, arcsin(sinx)=x.

whatlifeforme said:
for the other part i get:

[itex]\sqrt{1-x^2}^{1/2}_{0}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}} - 1[/itex]

which i can see how the last term -1 will go to -12/12, and pi/12 goes if front, but how are the getting the middle term, 6[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]?
The middle "term" you want to get is [itex]\frac{6\sqrt{3}}{12}[/itex], not [itex]6\sqrt{3}[/itex].

From [itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}}[/itex], do the subtraction, and split into two square roots, one in the numerator, and one in the denominator. It's straightforward from there.

solved.thanks.

Related to Area & Centroid of Region Bounded by arcsinx & x=1/2

1. What is the formula for calculating the area of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2?

The formula for calculating the area of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 is A = ∫[arcsin(x) - 1/2] dx.

2. How do you find the centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2?

The centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 can be found by using the formula x̄ = ∫[x(arcsin(x) - 1/2)] dx / A, where A is the area of the region.

3. Can the area and centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 be calculated using only geometry?

No, the area and centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 cannot be calculated using only geometry. Calculus is needed to find the integrals necessary for these calculations.

4. How does the value of x affect the area and centroid of the region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2?

As the value of x increases, the area of the region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 also increases. However, the centroid remains constant regardless of the value of x.

5. Can the area and centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 be negative?

Yes, the area and centroid of a region bounded by arcsinx and x=1/2 can be negative if the region is below the x-axis. This is because the area and centroid formulas only take into account the magnitude of the values, not the direction.