Does entropy contradict the Big Bang theory?

In summary, the first question is more important and it's worth noting that the increase in entropy after the Big Bang is what matters, not the entropy at the time of the Big Bang. As for the second question about the direction of time, it seems that our perception of time is linked to the increase in entropy and the irreversible process of storing information in memory.
Jonnyb42
Ok so I am asking two things here. One is, if entropy supposedly always increases, how does that fit with the big bang? The highly dense ball of all matter in the universe mashed together in the beginning seems to have high entropy; where is the organization??

Second, why does it seem time has a biased direction?

(Please put more importance on the first question.)

thanks,
Jonny

Science news on Phys.org
Current thinking in cosmology goes something like this: between the time the universe was created (t=0) and the Planck time (10^-43 sec) all of the fundamental forces of nature were unified; hence the most basic and simple configuration and a low state of entropy.

The 2nd part of your question was a little more subtle I recall. Hawking's popular books discuss this but I do not recall the details.

Jonnyb42 said:
Ok so I am asking two things here. One is, if entropy supposedly always increases, how does that fit with the big bang? The highly dense ball of all matter in the universe mashed together in the beginning seems to have high entropy; where is the organization??
It doesn't matter what the entropy of the universe was at the time just prior to the Big Bang. The only thing that matters is that entropy increased afterward. The second law does not place any limits on entropy. It only limits the direction of change of entropy.

The volume of the universe increased dramatically after the Big Bang. This increase in volume is analogous to a free expansion of a gas: it involves an increase in entropy.

AM

Ok thanks, I subject I will be studying not too far from now.

You mean subjectively? Nobody knows.

Entropy seems to give time a direction as we perceive it, but there is no distinction in physics between past, present, and future...d = vt, for example, fits all three without apparent distinction.

There is a lot of discussion in THE FABRIC OF THE COSMOS by Brian Greene...but not a lot of answers...

From Einstein we learn that space and time are components of the same entity...spacetime... and neither is fixed as we perceive in our everyday lives.

In the quantum world, the concept of past is different than our classical intuition. But it does not seem we can alter the past by actions of today.

I have often wondered - if the 'arrow of time' is associated with increasing entropy, then does time go backwards, locally, in my refrigerator? What price sell-by dates?

sophiecentaur said:
I have often wondered - if the 'arrow of time' is associated with increasing entropy, then does time go backwards, locally, in my refrigerator? What price sell-by dates?
Time slows in your refrigerator - for bacteria. For some things it appears go backward. For example, that free-range pork chop that I inadvertantly pushed to the back of the middle shelf in my fridge last September looks an awful lot like the green pasture from whence it came.

AM

Jonnyb42 said:

I'm just a layman so this may be just silly, but it makes sense to me:

Perception of time requires storing information in memory to detect that the past is different from the present. Storing a bit of information in memory is an irreversible process and increases the entropy of the system. Thus it seems (to me) that perception of time implies that one perceives time to "flow" in the direction of increasing entropy.

1. What is the concept of time in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, time is an important factor in understanding how systems change and evolve. It is a measure of the duration between a system's initial and final states, and is often used to calculate the rate of change in a system.

2. How does thermodynamics relate to the concept of time?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and how it is transferred between systems. Time is a key factor in this study, as it is used to measure the rate of energy transfer and how systems evolve over time.

3. Can time be reversed in thermodynamics?

No, according to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that time cannot be reversed in thermodynamic processes.

4. How does the concept of entropy relate to time in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is closely related to time as it is used to determine the direction in which a system evolves over time. As time passes, the entropy of a closed system will always increase.

5. How does thermodynamics explain the arrow of time?

The arrow of time refers to the asymmetry of time, where we perceive time as moving forward in one direction. Thermodynamics helps to explain this by showing that the increase in entropy over time is the cause of this asymmetry. As time passes, the entropy of a system increases, and this is why we perceive time as moving forward.