Time average of SHO kinetic energy = (1/2)E

In summary, the problem at hand is to find the time average of [sin(wt-d)]^2, which can be solved by using the average of a function formula and the period of the function. The error in the attempted solution lies in the integration bounds, which should have been an integer number of periods instead of (pi+d)/w. This can be corrected by using T = 2π/ω as the upper bound and -2d as the lower bound.
teroenza

Homework Statement

I believe I understand the problem except I cannot get

the time average of [sin(wt-d)]^2 = ½

I can do the rest once this is established.

Homework Equations

Average of a function= <function>= 1/(period)* integral(f*dt) from 0 to the period

Function to be averaged = [sin(wt-d)]^2

Period of sin(t)^2 is pi, so period of [sin(wt-d)]^2 is wt-d=pi --> t=(pi+d)/w

w=omega
d = delta
(This is for a problem on the average kinetic energy of a simple harmonic oscillator.) Taylor "Classical Mechanics" 5.12

The Attempt at a Solution

Used Identity sin(t)^2 = (1/2)(1-cos(2*t))

<[sin(wt-d)]^2 > = w/(pi+d)(1/2) [ (pi+d)/w - integral cos(2wt-2d)dt from 0 to (pi+d)/w]

Where I have already integrated for the first term in [ ]. My issue is that I need the last term in [ ] to be zero. Then I wold get the desired (1/2) result. To solve the integral

I do a u substitution ,
u = 2wt+2d
dt= 1/(w*2)du
Upper bound (pi+d)/w becomes 2*pi
Lower bound (0) becomes -2d

The lower bound is what prevents me from eliminating the term. When integrated I get
1/(w*2) [ sin(2*pi) - sin(-2d)]

I have tried and checked many times. Did I set up the problem wrong? It seems to be so close.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is here: << ... from 0 to (pi+d)/w] >>

The difference between the lower and the upper bound on your integration must be an integer number of periods One period would do nicely, which is T = 2π/ω.

Thank you. I now realize my error.

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator (SHO)?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a type of motion in which a system experiences a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a repetitive back-and-forth motion around the equilibrium position.

2. How is kinetic energy related to a SHO?

The kinetic energy of a SHO is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the kinetic energy also increases. However, the average kinetic energy over a full cycle of motion is equal to half the maximum kinetic energy, which is given by the equation (1/2)E.

3. What does the "E" in the equation (1/2)E represent?

The "E" in the equation represents the maximum kinetic energy of the SHO. This is the maximum amount of energy that the system has at any point during its motion.

4. How is the time average of SHO kinetic energy calculated?

The time average of SHO kinetic energy is calculated by taking the average of the kinetic energy over a full cycle of motion. This is equal to half the maximum kinetic energy, as given by the equation (1/2)E.

5. Why is the time average of SHO kinetic energy equal to half the maximum kinetic energy?

This is due to the nature of SHO motion, where the kinetic energy is constantly changing between zero and its maximum value. Taking the average over a full cycle of motion results in the average being half of the maximum value.