Time dependence of scalar product

In summary, the scalar product is time independent because of the hermitian properties of the Hamiltonian operator, which result in the two terms cancelling each other out in the integral. However, the last step in the conversation is incorrect and should be corrected to properly show the time independence of the scalar product.
Shredface
How do I show that the scalar product is time independent?

I have: [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int\Psi^{*}_{1}(x,t)\Psi_{2}(x,t)dx = 0[/tex]

And have proceeded to take the derivatives inside the integral and using the time dependent Schrodinger eq. ending up with:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2}-\Psi_{2}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1}\right)dx[/tex]

Using the Hermitian properties of [tex]\widehat{H}[/tex] I then got to:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2} - \Psi_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{2}\right)dx[/tex]

Either these two terms equivalent meaning they cancel and I have my result or I've made a drastic error somewhere. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your last step is wrong. The hermitian conjugate of [tex]\Psi^*_1 H|\Psi_2[/tex] is [tex]\Psi^*_1 H|\Psi_2[/tex].
The stars on Psi don't change.

Last edited:
[tex]
\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2}-\Psi_{2}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1}\right)dx
[/tex]

should read

[tex]
\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}(\widehat{H}\Psi_{2})-(\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1})\Psi_{2}\right)dx
[/tex]

hermiticy:

[tex]
\int \psi _1 ^* (\hat{O} \psi _2 ) \, dx = \int (\hat{O}\psi _1 )^* \psi _2 \, dx
[/tex]
gives
[tex]
- \frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left( (\widehat{H}\Psi_{1})^{*}\Psi_{2}-(\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1})\Psi_{2}\right)dx
[/tex]

1. What is the definition of scalar product?

The scalar product, also known as dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. How does the scalar product change with time?

The scalar product is a constant value for two fixed vectors. However, if one or both of the vectors change with time, the scalar product will also change accordingly.

3. What is the significance of time dependence in scalar product?

The time dependence in scalar product is important in understanding the dynamics of changing vectors. It allows us to track the changes in the scalar product and analyze the relationship between the two changing vectors.

4. How is time dependence of scalar product used in physics?

In physics, the time dependence of scalar product is used to study the motion of objects and the forces acting on them. It is also used in calculations involving work, energy, and power.

5. Can the time dependence of scalar product be negative?

Yes, the time dependence of scalar product can be negative. This means that the angle between the two changing vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative scalar product value.