Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time dependence of scalar product

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    How do I show that the scalar product is time independent?

I have: [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int\Psi^{*}_{1}(x,t)\Psi_{2}(x,t)dx = 0[/tex]

And have proceeded to take the derivatives inside the integral and using the time dependent Schrodinger eq. ending up with:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2}-\Psi_{2}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1}\right)dx[/tex]

Using the Hermitian properties of [tex]\widehat{H}[/tex] I then got to:

[tex]\frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2} - \Psi_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{2}\right)dx[/tex]

Either these two terms equivalent meaning they cancel and I have my result or I've made a drastic error somewhere. Can anyone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your last step is wrong. The hermitian conjugate of [tex]\Psi^*_1 H|\Psi_2[/tex] is [tex]\Psi^*_1 H|\Psi_2[/tex].
    The stars on Psi don't change.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    [tex]
    \frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}\widehat{H}\Psi_{2}-\Psi_{2}\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1}\right)dx
    [/tex]

should read

[tex]
    \frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left(\Psi^{*}_{1}(\widehat{H}\Psi_{2})-(\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1})\Psi_{2}\right)dx
    [/tex]

hermiticy:

[tex]
    \int \psi _1 ^* (\hat{O} \psi _2 ) \, dx = \int (\hat{O}\psi _1 )^* \psi _2 \, dx
    [/tex]
    gives
    [tex]
    - \frac{i}{\hbar}\int\left( (\widehat{H}\Psi_{1})^{*}\Psi_{2}-(\widehat{H}\Psi^{*}_{1})\Psi_{2}\right)dx
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook