1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-Dependent Classical Lagrangian with variation of time

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1

Hello everyone!

I was reading the following review:

http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2009-4&page=articlesu23.html [Broken]

And I got stuck at the first equation; (10.1)

So how I understand this is that there are two variations,

[itex]\tilde{q}(t)=q(t)+\delta q(t) \hspace{1cm} \text{and} \hspace{1cm} \tilde{t}=t+\delta t [/itex]

Further we also have a `total variaton' for q at first order:
    [itex]\tilde{q}(\tilde{t})=q(t)+\delta q(t)+\dot{q}(t)\delta t [/itex]

and its derivative,
    [itex]\dot{\tilde{q}}(\tilde{t})=\dot{q}(t)+\delta\dot{q}(t)+\ddot{q}(t) \delta t [/itex]

So now how is [itex]\delta L(q,\dot{q},t)[/itex] defined?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is your question about the paper, or about the fundamentals of the calculus of variations?

If the latter, see the attachment at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=752726#2

It contains a leisurely introduction to the calculus of variations, followed by derivations of Lagrangians & Hamiltonians.

4. Jun 13, 2014 #3

The question is about the fundamentals of calculus of variations. I know how to derive the usual Euler-Lagrange equations without the extra variation in t [itex] \tilde{t}=t+\delta t [/itex]. But I am having trouble incorporating this extra variation.

if i define:
    [itex] \delta L = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} \delta q + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} \frac{\partial q}{\partial t}\delta t + \frac{\partial L }{\partial \dot{q} } \delta \dot{q} +\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} \frac{\partial \dot{q}}{\partial t}\delta t + \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} \delta t [/itex]

then it gets a similar result as (10.1) but everywhere there is [itex] \dot{q} [/itex] they have [itex] -\dot{q} [/itex].

Its driving me pretty crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Jun 13, 2014 #4

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then download the attachment ...

6. Jun 13, 2014 #5

Unfortunately the attachment does not treat coordinate variations.

7. Jun 13, 2014 #6

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you will need to find a specialized text book.

8. Jun 15, 2014 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook