Explaining Time Dependent Potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a time-dependent potential in quantum mechanics. The Schrodinger equation can be solved by separating variables if the potential does not depend on time. Examples of time-dependent potentials include applied electric fields and a potential in the center of axes with rotating particles. The expectation value of potential energy may vary with time, but if in a stationary state, it will be time-independent. This concept may differ from classical mechanics where potential energy is often implicitly dependent on time through position. The Ehrenfest theorem is mentioned as a useful tool for understanding this concept.
pmiranda
Hello,

I am trying to self learn a little bit of quantum mechanics in order to describe the magnetic resonance phenomenon. I am following Griffiths book and i am understanding most of it.

Now, there is a particular thing that is bogging me.

The Schrodinger equation can be easily solved by separation of variables if the potential does not depend on time, which i understand as:
[itex]\frac{\partial V(x,t)}{\partial t}=0[/itex]

in other words it can simply be
[itex]V(x,t)\rightarrow V(x)[/itex]

Now i can think of a many motions where the potential is constant at any given position in time. For instance the Harmonic oscillator or an electron orbiting.

Now i can't imagine in my naive approach, a possible scenario where the potential changes with time without changing the position of a particle.

Is there any easy explanation for that?

Ty in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
pmiranda said:
Now i can't imagine in my naive approach, a possible scenario where the potential changes with time without changing the position of a particle.

Ty in advance

Not sure I understand that question.

If you want a simple example of a potential that varies with time, you can think of any kind of applied electric field. For example one that depends linearly on time or more realistically one that oscillates with a given frequency (a model for monochromatic light). Potentials that are time-dependent are usually so-called "external" potentials because they do not have their origin in the particles themselves (such as coulomb attraction between two charged particles). Maybe that's why you're having a hard time imagining such a potential.

I didn´t though of it as an "external" thing. That way it makes sense now!
Thanks alot

An example of a potential that varies over time but leaves the particle in its position would be the potential in the center of the axes, while two charges in opposite sides of the diameter of a circle around the center of the axes, are rotating in circular trajectory.

pmiranda said:
I didn´t though of it as an "external" thing. That way it makes sense now!
Thanks alot

Yes, a potential like that can be a function that depends explicitly on time. That doesn't mean that potential energy will not vary (the expecation value) with time if the operator V isn't a function of t. I guess the confusion comes from the fact in classical physics, in the case of a harmonic oscillator for example, V would depend implicitly on time, since it would be a function of x(t). In QM the operator V(x) is not a function of time (for the harmonic oscillator), but the expectation value <V> could depend on time since V does not commute with H. Check out the Ehrenfest theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_theorem

However, if you are in a stationary state <V> will indeed be time independent, which to me was always kinda weird (when compared to classical mechanics). But I guess that comes from the fact there are such things as stationary states in QM and no trajectories.

Last edited:

1. What is a time dependent potential?

A time dependent potential is a type of potential energy that changes over time. It is typically described by a function that takes into account both position and time.

2. What is the role of time dependent potential in physics?

Time dependent potential plays a crucial role in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to describe the behavior of systems that change over time, such as oscillating systems or particles in a changing electromagnetic field.

3. How is time dependent potential different from time independent potential?

The main difference between time dependent and time independent potential is that the former changes over time, while the latter remains constant. Time dependent potential is also more complex, as it requires an additional dimension (time) to be described.

4. How do you calculate the energy of a system with a time dependent potential?

The energy of a system with a time dependent potential can be calculated using the time-dependent Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics or the Hamiltonian equations of motion in classical mechanics. These equations take into account the potential energy at each point in time and the position and momentum of the system.

5. Can a system have both time dependent and time independent potential energy?

Yes, a system can have both time dependent and time independent potential energy. In fact, most systems in physics have both types of potential energy. For example, a particle in a gravitational field has a time independent potential energy due to its position in the field, but its kinetic energy can change over time due to its motion.