1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time-dependent surface current density

1. May 12, 2007 #1
    We have an infinitely long solenoid of radius R along the z-axis. The solenoid is electrically neutral. The surface current density K is dependent in time, K(t)=Kocos(wt)

Find the magnetic field B(s,t) produced for s<R (inside solenoid), s>R (outside solenoid), and the associated electric fields.

I had first considered using Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field, but realized that since the current is not constant that I can't use it. But I'm not sure if this works with time-dependence, since it is technically still a constant in terms of position (x,y,z). Can Ampere's Law be applied here? Otherwise I don't really know how to approach the problem since the Biot-Savart Law seems to be too complicated. Also, shouldn't the magnetic field outside the solenoid be zero?
    And once I find out B, do I have to apply Maxwell's equations to find E?

I'm sorry I don't have an elaborate attempt, I'm really pretty stuck on this question.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe you can use any law you want as long as the time rate of change of the quantities involved is small compared with the distance scale - which I suspect is what is expected here. Otherwise you have to deal with advanced and retarded potentials etc. If that doesn't mean anything to you than just use Ampere's and Biot-Savart.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?