Time derivative of rotating vector

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the magnitude of dA/dt in a physics problem. The argument involves calculating the change in A over a time interval and using a half-angle trig identity to represent it as 2A sin(theta/2). After some discussion and working through the problem, the person is able to understand and solve it by drawing a picture and using the Pythagorean theorem.
Wardub
Trying to teach myself physics and I've run into a problem I don't quite understand.

"The magnitude of dA/dt can be found by the following geometrical argument. The change of A in the time interval t to Δt is"

ΔA = A(t + Δt) - A(t)

And then somehow it gets to
A| = 2Asin(Δ[itex]\theta[/itex]/2)

I just can't see how those are equal. Especially where theta/2 comes in.
This comes out of Kleppner pages 25 and 26, if that helps. Supposedly there's a sketch, but I can't see one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Work it out. Suppose at t = 0, A points along the x-axis, so A = (A,0), If you rotate by an amount theta, the A = (A cos(theta),A sin(theta). So Delta A = (A(1-cos(theta)),A sin(theta)). So:

[tex] |\Delta A| =A \sqrt{(1-\cos(\theta)^2 + \sin(\theta)^2} =A \sqrt{1-2\cos(\theta) + \cos(\theta)^2 + \sin(\theta)^2} =A \sqrt{2-2\cos(\theta)} = 2A \sin(\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]

This last is a half-angle trig identity:

[tex]\sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) = \sqrt{\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{2}}[/tex]

Thanks, I actually just got it myself by drawing a picture and using the Pythagorean theorem. Essentially equivalent to what you did.

1. What is the concept of time derivative of rotating vector?

The time derivative of a rotating vector is the rate of change of the vector with respect to time. It tells us how quickly and in what direction the vector is changing as it rotates.

2. How is the time derivative of rotating vector related to angular velocity?

The time derivative of a rotating vector is directly proportional to the angular velocity of the rotation. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the rate of change of the vector also increases.

3. Can the time derivative of rotating vector be negative?

Yes, the time derivative of a rotating vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is decreasing in magnitude or rotating in the opposite direction.

4. How is the time derivative of rotating vector calculated?

The time derivative of a rotating vector can be calculated by taking the dot product of the vector with the angular velocity vector. This will give us the magnitude and direction of the rate of change of the vector.

5. What are the applications of the time derivative of rotating vector in science and engineering?

The time derivative of rotating vector is used in many fields, including mechanics, fluid dynamics, and robotics. It helps us understand the motion and behavior of rotating objects and is essential in the design and analysis of many systems and machines.