1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time derivative of rotating vector

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Trying to teach myself physics and I've run into a problem I don't quite understand.

"The magnitude of dA/dt can be found by the following geometrical argument. The change of A in the time interval t to Δt is"

ΔA = A(t + Δt) - A(t)

And then somehow it gets to
    A| = 2Asin(Δ[itex]\theta[/itex]/2)

I just can't see how those are equal. Especially where theta/2 comes in.
    This comes out of Kleppner pages 25 and 26, if that helps. Supposedly there's a sketch, but I can't see one.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Work it out. Suppose at t = 0, A points along the x-axis, so A = (A,0), If you rotate by an amount theta, the A = (A cos(theta),A sin(theta). So Delta A = (A(1-cos(theta)),A sin(theta)). So:

[tex] |\Delta A| =A \sqrt{(1-\cos(\theta)^2 + \sin(\theta)^2} =A \sqrt{1-2\cos(\theta) + \cos(\theta)^2 + \sin(\theta)^2} =A \sqrt{2-2\cos(\theta)} = 2A \sin(\frac{\theta}{2})[/tex]

This last is a half-angle trig identity:

[tex]\sin(\frac{\theta}{2}) = \sqrt{\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{2}}[/tex]

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    Thanks, I actually just got it myself by drawing a picture and using the Pythagorean theorem. Essentially equivalent to what you did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook