Time Dilation and aging Problem

In summary, the question asks how much less one has aged compared to their friends at home after flying 5000 km at 250 m/s across the United States and returning two days later at the same speed. The equation used to calculate this is delta_t= delta_t'/ sqrt(1-beta^2) where beta= v/c. The solution manual provides the answer as 1.39×10−8 s, but the asker is unsure of how to arrive at this answer and asks for clarification and assistance. They also express their desire to obtain the solution manual for their own use.
funkym0nkey

Homework Statement

You fly 5000 km across the United States on an airliner at 250 m/s. You return two days later traveling at the same speed. How much less have you aged more then your friends at home.

Homework Equations

I think the time dilation equation is used:
delta_t= delta_t'/ sqrt(1-beta^2) where beta= v/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution from the solution manual but i'd like to know how they got to the answer, 1.39×10−8 s.

to find the delta t is the equation delta_t=delta_x/v used?

the beta is (250m/s)/(3.0*10^(8) m/s )

i keep getting 1.7 *10^-5 although the solution manual says this is incorrect.

Any advice is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi !

I've been so desperate to find the solution manual for mastering physics..!

Can you please tell me where you got it/?

or if it is possible, I would really really appreciate it if you could can it to my email, which is

guswns3310@hotmail.com

Thank you very much

I would use the time dilation equation to solve this problem. The equation you mentioned, delta_t = delta_t' / sqrt(1-beta^2), is correct and should be used in this scenario.

First, we need to calculate the time dilation factor, which is represented by the term sqrt(1-beta^2). In this case, beta is equal to v/c, so we have beta = (250 m/s) / (3.0*10^8 m/s) = 8.33*10^-7.

Plugging this value into the equation, we get sqrt(1-(8.33*10^-7)^2) = 0.9999999999999999967.

Next, we need to calculate the time difference between the two flights. The distance traveled is 5000 km, which is equal to 5,000,000 m. Dividing this distance by the speed of the airliner (250 m/s), we get a time of 20,000 seconds.

Now, we can use the time dilation equation to calculate the time difference experienced by the traveler. delta_t = delta_t' / sqrt(1-beta^2) = 20,000 s / 0.9999999999999999967 = 20,000.000000000000000033 s.

Finally, we can subtract the time difference experienced by the traveler (20,000.000000000000000033 s) from the original time difference (20,000 s) to find the difference in aging between the traveler and their friends at home. This gives us 0.000000000000000033 s, which can be rounded to 1.39*10^-8 s.

In conclusion, the traveler would have aged 1.39*10^-8 s less than their friends at home due to time dilation caused by their high speed travel.

Related to Time Dilation and aging Problem

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects in different gravitational fields or traveling at different speeds. It is a prediction of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation affect aging?

Time dilation can affect aging by slowing down the rate at which time passes for an object. This means that an object in a high gravitational field or traveling at high speeds will age slower compared to an object in a lower gravitational field or at rest.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites have to account for the effects of time dilation due to their high speed and distance from Earth's surface in order to provide accurate location information.

4. Is time dilation the same as time travel?

No, time dilation and time travel are two different concepts. Time dilation is a change in the rate at which time passes, while time travel involves moving through time to a different point in the past or future.

5. How does time dilation affect the concept of "simultaneity"?

Time dilation can affect the concept of simultaneity, which refers to events occurring at the same time. Due to the different rates at which time passes for different objects, what may appear simultaneous for one object may not be simultaneous for another object in a different frame of reference.