Time Dilation for Slower Objects - Physics Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and its applicability to the speed of light. The conversation also touches on the misunderstanding of time dilation and its relationship to the speed of light and mass. The speaker is advised to start from the basics and revise their understanding of the topic.
iForget
Good day,
I'm a high schooler so my knowledge of physics is futile and still expanding. Please correct me when I'm wrong, I love physics.

Now to my question. I'm still a bit fuzzy on this theory of time dilation and the speed of light etc. But if time dilation happens at the speed of light can it also happen at slower speeds such as the speed of sound? If this is true does the amount of time dilation change within a different medium or a vacuum all together?

My understanding of time dilation is that if you (or an object) that is traveling at the speed of light moves or emits a beam of light then that beam/movement will still move at the speed of light regardless of your motion prior to said event while everything else observing it sees it slower. Because the speed of light is constant and nothing can move faster than it. This raises another question. If this is so; your moving at the speed of light and you move just your hand, will time then slow down for the rest of your body as your hand is moving?

I am very lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
iForget said:
if time dilation happens at the speed of light

It doesn't. The concept of "time dilation" isn't applicable to light. It's only applicable to things that move slower than light.

iForget said:
can it also happen at slower speeds such as the speed of sound?

It only makes sense as a concept at slower speeds.

iForget said:
My understanding of time dilation

...appears to be garbled. Can you give the references you are using? It appears that you have misunderstood or misinterpreted quite a few things.

To briefly outline some of the misconceptions in your post:

(1) Nothing except light, or other radiation that has zero rest mass, can move at the speed of light. You can't, and an ordinary object (meaning, anything with nonzero rest mass) can't. So saying "if you (or an object) that is traveling at the speed of light" makes no sense.

(2) Time dilation is not the same thing as the speed of light being the same in all inertial frames.

(3) As above, time dilation as a concept does not apply to light, or anything that moves at the speed of light. It only applies to things that move slower than light, i.e., things with nonzero rest mass.

Likes iForget
PeterDonis said:
Can you give the references you are using?

The references are from various places,
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/time_dil.html being one.
I also came across the train example. Being that all this is theoretical/conceptual so were my questions.

iForget said:
The references are from various places,
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/time_dil.html being one.
I also came across the train example. Being that all this is theoretical/conceptual so were my questions.
At a quick glance, I see nothing wrong with the presentation in that link, but your understanding of it is, as Peter said, totally garbled. It does not present anything that I can see that would lead to any of your erroneous conclusions/beliefs.

Perhaps some of your other references were more confusing than this one.

At any rate, I suggest that you start with a simple presentation on Special Relativity from the ground up. I don't have a good reference off hand to point you to, but a forum search will likely turn something up since such recommendations occur here from time to time.

I don't understand you point about your questions being theoretical/conceptual.

EDIT: I see Peter beat me to it :smile:

Likes iForget
iForget said:
My understanding of time dilation is that if you (or an object) that is traveling at the speed of light moves or emits a beam of light then that beam/movement will still move at the speed of light regardless of your motion prior to said event while everything else observing it sees it slower.

That's not time dilation. If you watch a moving clock, you will observe that it runs slow. A clock running slow is not the same thing as an object moving slow. A clock running slow means time itself has slowed. An object moving at a slow speed is something else, like a car moving at 30 mi'h is slow compared to a car moving at 60 mi/h.

A clock in motion relative to you runs slower than a clock that's not moving relative to you. The faster the clock moves, the slower it runs.

Because the speed of light is constant and nothing can move faster than it.

Nothing with mass can move as fast as light. It's the absolute speed limit.

Likes iForget
Thank you everyone.
I will go back and start from the ground up. I must have missed or misinterpreted a large part in properly understanding. I'll revise and try rebuilding the proper paradigm for a subject this complex.
Thank you.

Related to Time Dilation for Slower Objects - Physics Explained

1. What is time dilation for slower objects?

Time dilation for slower objects is a phenomenon in which time moves slower for an object that is moving at a slower speed relative to another object. This is due to the effects of relative velocity on the perception of time.

2. How does time dilation affect slower objects?

Time dilation affects slower objects by causing time to move slower for them, compared to objects that are moving at a faster speed. This means that an observer on a slower-moving object would perceive time to be passing slower than an observer on a faster-moving object.

3. What causes time dilation for slower objects?

Time dilation for slower objects is caused by the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be affected by relative velocity. As an object moves at a higher speed, its perception of time will be different from an object that is moving at a slower speed.

4. Is time dilation for slower objects a proven concept?

Yes, time dilation for slower objects is a proven concept that has been extensively studied and confirmed through experiments and observations. The theory of relativity, which explains time dilation, is one of the most well-established theories in physics.

5. How does time dilation for slower objects impact our daily lives?

Time dilation for slower objects has a very minimal impact on our daily lives because the effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by objects in space. However, it is an important concept in understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and has practical applications in areas such as GPS technology.