Time evolution of an expectation value

In summary: First of all, I agree with your most recent posts about the constants. And I just started my own course of study on QM about 2 months ago. Very rigorously I may add, as I spend almost all of my time...In summary, Dr. Susskind discusses how to find the time evolution of the average of an observable K. He first applies the product rule twice and uses the Schrödinger equation to get -i.
jaurandt
Watching Dr. Susskind show how to find the time evolution of the average of an observable K, he writes:

I can not for the life of me figure out he derived it, and he also did something which I found terribly annoying throughout which is set hbar to 1, so after steps you lose where the hbar goes. Can anyone help me figure out how this is derived?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply on the left the product rule twice and use twice the Schrödinger equation ##i\hbar \partial_t \psi = \widehat H \psi##.

A. Neumaier said:
Apply on the left the product rule twice and use twice the Schrödinger equation ##i\hbar \partial_t \psi = \widehat H \psi##.

Thanks for your reply. That much I do understand, but what I don't understand is how doing that could ever produce a -i since H is obviously Hermitian and can act on either side...

Setting ##\hbar = c = 1## is standard unit convention in high-energy physics. It is just a matter of what unit system you choose to work in and natural units are by far the most convenient. You can always go back to a unit system where this is not the case by using dimensional analysis to insert the appropriate powers of ##\hbar## and ##c##.

Likes PeroK
jaurandt said:
Thanks for your reply. That much I do understand, but what I don't understand is how doing that could ever produce a -i since H is obviously Hermitian and can act on either side...
But bras are conjugated, hence on the bra side, ##1/i=-i## becomes ##i##.

A. Neumaier said:
But bras are conjugated, hence on the bra side, ##1/i=-i## becomes ##i##.

So I am wrong in saying
(i)(hbar)d/dt<psi| = <psi|H ? I'm sorry I'm brand new to this forum and I don't know how to create the symbols.

Orodruin said:
Setting ##\hbar = c = 1## is standard unit convention in high-energy physics. It is just a matter of what unit system you choose to work in and natural units are by far the most convenient. You can always go back to a unit system where this is not the case by using dimensional analysis to insert the appropriate powers of ##\hbar## and ##c##.

Maybe it'll come more naturally to me eventually, but dimensional analysis seems to confuse me more than just leaving in the constants.

jaurandt said:
I don't know how to create the symbols.
Use standard latex but with two hash signs in place of single dollars (but keep double dollars). You can look at how I did it by clicking on the reply button of my post.
jaurandt said:
So I am wrong in saying(i)(hbar)d/dt<psi| = <psi|H ?
Yes. It is easiest to see if you use linear algebra notation, i.e., ##\psi=|\psi\rangle## (viewed as a column vector) and ##\psi^*=\langle\psi|## (viewed as the conjugate transposed row vector). Then $$i\hbar \partial_t \psi^*=-(i\hbar \partial_t \psi)^*=-(H\psi)^*=-\psi^*H.$$

Likes Orodruin
jaurandt said:
Maybe it'll come more naturally to me eventually, but dimensional analysis seems to confuse me more than just leaving in the constants.
After getting used to it, leaving the constants will just annoy you to the extreme as they add nothing of value to the physics and just act to obscure the mathematical relationships.

Orodruin said:
After getting used to it, leaving the constants will just annoy you to the extreme as they add nothing of value to the physics and just act to obscure the mathematical relationships.
I don't agree. After 28 years of doing quantum mechanics I still like to write them each time (and am pleased if others do so, too). It displays the classical limit ##\hbar\to 0## and the nonrelativistic limit ##c^{-1}\to 0## very naturally. Writing ##\iota:=i/\hbar## and ##x_0=ct## in the formulas is almost as easy as writing ##i## and ##x_0=t## preserves the units.

Likes DrClaude
A. Neumaier said:
I don't agree. After 28 years of doing quantum mechanics I still like to write them each time (and am pleased if others do so, too). It displays the classical limit ##\hbar\to 0## and the nonrelativistic limit ##c^{-1}\to 0## very naturally. Writing ##\iota:=i/\hbar## and ##x_0=ct## in the formulas is almost as easy as writing ##i## and ##x_0=t## preserves the units.
To each his (or her) own. To me, it is just clutter. Typically the non-relativistic and classical limits can be considered in other ways that do not involve ##c## or ##\hbar## and are more physical. Using ##c## or ##\hbar## is just a proxy.

A. Neumaier said:
Use standard latex but with two hash signs in place of single dollars (but keep double dollars). You can look at how I did it by clicking on the reply button of my post.

Yes. It is easiest to see if you use linear algebra notation, i.e., ##\psi=|\psi\rangle## (viewed as a column vector) and ##\psi^*=\langle\psi|## (viewed as the conjugate transposed row vector). Then $$i\hbar \partial_t \psi^*=-(i\hbar \partial_t \psi)^*=-(H\psi)^*=-\psi^*H.$$

First of all, I agree with your most recent posts about the constants. And I just started my own course of study on QM about 2 months ago. Very rigorously I may add, as I spend almost all of my time doing it.

Second, your math implies that the adjoint of $$\partial_t$$ is $$\partial_t$$

Is this correct? Basically, I just wasn't conjugating i for the bra form? In other words

H|psi> = (i)(hbar)(d/dt)|psi>

Corresponds to

<psi|H = <psi|(d/dt)(hbar)(-i)

Is this correct?

jaurandt said:
Your math implies that the adjoint of $$\partial_t$$ is $$\partial_t$$

Is this correct?
No. ##\partial_t ## is not an operator acting on the Hilbert space but on the t-dependence of the state. Its adjoint is not defined in this context.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is the "time evolution" of an expectation value?

The "time evolution" of an expectation value refers to how the average value of a physical quantity changes over time in a quantum mechanical system. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a system as it evolves from one state to another.

2. How is the time evolution of an expectation value calculated?

The time evolution of an expectation value is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wavefunction of a quantum system changes over time. The expectation value is obtained by taking the average of the observable quantity over all possible states of the system.

3. What factors influence the time evolution of an expectation value?

The time evolution of an expectation value is influenced by various factors, such as the initial state of the system, the Hamiltonian operator, and any external perturbations or interactions. These factors determine the probabilities of different outcomes and therefore affect the average value of the observable quantity.

4. Can the time evolution of an expectation value be observed in experiments?

Yes, the time evolution of an expectation value can be observed in experiments. For example, in quantum mechanics, the expectation value of position can be measured by repeatedly measuring the position of a particle and taking the average over many measurements. This allows us to observe how the average position of the particle changes over time.

5. How does the time evolution of an expectation value relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The time evolution of an expectation value is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle is reflected in the time evolution of expectation values, as the uncertainty in one observable quantity can affect the average value of another observable quantity over time.