Time in a black hole and Weyl curvature

In summary, Kip Thorne says that black holes always pull everything in towards the future, and that a white hole is the time reversal of a black hole.
Naty1
Kip Thorne says (Lecture in 1993 Warping Spacetime, at Stephan Hawking's 60th birthday celebration, Cambridge, England,)

The flow of time slows to a crawl near the horizon, and beneath the horizon time becomes so highly warped that it flows in a direction you would have thought was spacial: it flows downward towards the singularity. That downward flow, in fact, is why nothing can escape from a black hole. Everything is always drawn inexorably towards the future, and since the future inside a black hole is downward, away from the horizon, nothing can escape back upward, through the horizon.

Comments, interpretations, appreciated.

I thought classical time was always symmetric ...apparently not. Is this same description applicable to a "big crunch" as well? Apparently Weyle curvature at the big bang and black holes seems to go to infinity while at the big crunch it's essentially zero...how does that relate to this "direction" of time??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a white hole.
http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/schww.html

Hi all!
I think the keypoint of Thorne's statement can be found in the form of the Schwarzschild metric
[tex]ds_S^{2} = \left(1-\frac{2M}{r} \right) dt^2 - \left(1-\frac{2M}{r} \right)^{-1} dr^2 - r^2 d \Omega^2[/tex]
as you can see at the event orizon, located at [tex]r_S = 2 M[/tex] the metric becomes ill defined, i.e. singular. This peculiarity divides the whole space-time in two regions. The outer one which is asymptotically flat, i.e. [tex]ds_S^2 \rightarrow dt^2 - \( d \vec{r} \)^2[/tex], describing the space surrounding the black hole. And the inner region, which is properly the black hole, a region in which the relative signs of [tex]dt^{2}[/tex] and [tex]dr^{2}[/tex] change. This is the fact pointed out by Thorne. That inside the black hole the space coordinate acts as the temporal one and viceversa, from a causal point of view. More specifically you have that that all the trajectories pointing outward the center can only reach, asymptotically the event horizon.
Hope this helps...forgive my english...

Atyy...Kip specifically refers to black holes and I should have made that clear...my quote above is from page 93, THE FUTURE OF THEORETICAL PHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY, 1993
I'll have to check the white hole reference tomorrow...

ALLE: GREAT INSIGHT...Thorne happens to state the Schwarzschild solution you posted (in a slightly different form) earlier in his talk...I'll bet THAT IS what he is referring to...makes sense...

I meant that a white hole is the time reversal of a black hole.

atyy said:
I meant that a white hole is the time reversal of a black hole.

Mmh...i don't think it is so simple...i mean, a black hole is a physical entity (or, at least, we hope so...) while its white counterpart it's only a mathematical tool needed to cover the entire space-time manifold with the fewest possible number of charts. Indeed I think that Wheeler prooved (sorry but no references...) that a collapsing star cannot create a white hole since the time is not symmetric in the collapsing process. So handle with care...

@Naty: Can you post or link the form of the metric choosen by Thorne? Thnx

There are comments regarding this in the first paragraph of
The arrow of time, black holes, and quantum mixing of large N Yang-Mills theories
Guido Festuccia, Hong Liu
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0611098

I know in the Schwarzschild solution, a white hole is the formal time reverse of a black hole, but I wonder whether it is true that for every black hole solution, there is a corresponding white hole solution (in theory, although it may not be realized in nature)?

1. What is time dilation in a black hole?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time moves slower for an observer near a black hole compared to an observer far away from it. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole, which causes a distortion in space-time.

2. How does the curvature of space-time affect time in a black hole?

The curvature of space-time, specifically the Weyl curvature, is responsible for the extreme time dilation near a black hole. As the curvature increases, time dilation also increases, causing time to slow down significantly near the event horizon of a black hole.

3. Can time move backwards in a black hole?

According to current scientific theories, time cannot move backwards in a black hole. The concept of time being reversed is often associated with the idea of traveling through a wormhole, which has not been proven to exist yet.

4. How does the speed of light factor into time in a black hole?

The speed of light is the universal speed limit and is not affected by the strong gravitational pull of a black hole. However, time itself is affected by the black hole's gravity, causing light to appear to slow down or even stop near the event horizon.

5. Is there a limit to how much time can be dilated in a black hole?

There is no known limit to how much time can be dilated in a black hole. As the curvature of space-time increases, time dilation also increases, potentially leading to infinite time dilation at the singularity of a black hole.