Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time invariant Green's function (inpulse response)

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    Hello Forum,

given a input=delta located at time t=0, the system will respond generating a function h(t).

If the delta is instead located at t=t0 (delayed by tau), the system will respond with a function g(t)=h(t-tau), just a shifted version of the response for the delta a t=0....

If this is the case, the system is time invariant and the impulse response is said to be only a function of t-t0........: h(t-t0)

If the system was time variant instead, it will be a function h(t,t-t0), that is, a function of both time t and t-t0.......it is as if it was a function of two variables.....

I am not clear on this: isn't the function h, the impulse response, a function of time t also in the case of time invariant system?
    To be time invariant, does the variable t need to always occur with t0 in a subtraction?

thanks,
    Fisico30

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2
    My understanding is that once you have proved that the system is time invariant, i.e. h(t) = h(t-t0), you can safely drop t0 in the expression and simply state the impulse response is h(t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook