Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time of a hypernova

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1

bobie

Gold Member

How long can the explosion of a super/hyper nova last?,
    does time depend on mass?
    is it possible that an explosion lasts for years?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

How do you define the end of the explosion? The supernova ejects material into mostly empty space and this material continues expanding for a very long time. For example, this image is of a supernova that exploded in 1006 AD. It is still expanding. So do you consider this explosion to be still occurring? Or is the explosion "over"?

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3

bobie

Gold Member

If I can make a comparison with a volcano, when matter stops being thrown out.
    My question is if the esplosion is lake a blast of dynamite, or like a volcano , which can erupt for weeks. Can the star eject material for centuries? does time depend on size, power, speed etc.?

5. Mar 12, 2014 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I see. In that respect, it is more like a blast of dynamite. Most of the energy is deposited in a fraction of a second, and the explosion just evolves from there. The main qualification of this is that many of the heavy nuclei that are ejected are unstable, and they decay over a period of months to years and deposit their energy of decay in the expanding shell.

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5

bobie

Gold Member

Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook