1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time period for a Simple Harmonic Oscillator to go from 0-1m

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle with a mass(m) of 0.500kg is attached to a horizontal spring with a force constant(k) of 50.0N/m. At the moment t=0, the particle has its maximum speed of 20m/s and its moving to the left. Find the minimum time interval required for the particle to move from position x=0 to x=1.00m.

2. Relevant equations
    General Equation of Motion: x(t)=(A)cos(ωt +Φ) where A is the amplitude or maximum position, ω is the angular frequency, and Φ is the phase constant
    ω=√(k/m)
    vmax=ωA

3. The attempt at a solution
    ω=√(k/m)=√(50/0.5) = 10.0 rad/s
    vmax=ωA → A=(vmax/ω)=20/10=2.00m

Since at t=0, the particle is at its maximum speed, the phase constant must make cosine=0 as the particles maximum speed is at position x=0, so the phase constant must be π/2.

Equation of Motion: 2cos(10t+π/2)=x(t)

I believe the solution from here it to make x(t)=1.00m as the particle is at x=0 at t=0, so the time at x(t)=1.00m is the time it takes to go from x=0 to x=1.00.

2cos(10t+π/2)=1.00 → cos-1(1/2)=10t+π/2 → 10t= π/3 - π/2 → t= -π/60=-0.0524s.

I believe the answer is just the absolute value of this. When I input t=0.0524s, i get x(t)=-1.00. Shouldn't this be equivalent to the time it takes to get to +1.00m.

Apparently, the answer is 0.105s which is noticed is double the magnitude of my answer. I am pretty sure this is not a coincidence. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me where I am going wrong.

Thank You,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2016 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The way I interpret the problem statement, you don't want to start the "timer" (so to speak) at the moment [itex] t = 0 [/itex]. That's because at time [itex] t = 0 [/itex], the particle is moving to the left. The way I interpret the problem, it's okay to wait until the particle comes back to [itex] x = 0 [/itex] such that it's moving to the right; only then begin the time interval. But I suppose your approach should work too, leveraging symmetry.

I think your logic is valid due to symmetry. I might have instead tried to used different points in time such that I didn't have to take an absolute value, but that's just me.

All that said, I don't think the given answer is correct. I came up with the same answer that you did. Either we are right or we are misinterpreting the problem statement.

4. Feb 1, 2016 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I also believe Ethan's answer is correct.

If you are familiar with the idea that SHM is just a projection of uniform circular motion, then you can see that when the particle in SHM moves from x = 0 to x = 1 m, the point on the reference circle moves through 30 degrees, or 1/12 of a circle. So, the time required is 1/12 of the period of the SHM.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted