1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Time Period Question

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1
    My question is that going by the definition of time period that is,
    "the time required to complete one oscillation".

Now, if I say the best option for an engineer should be that , the building should not oscillate , am I right?

That could happen if the time period of a system is very large, right?
    Because, if the time period is LESS, the frequency is MORE, hence the system would suffer more oscillations , right?So to make the building suffer no oscillations/ less oscillations the time period should be LARGE.

SO AM I RIGHT IF I SAY LESS STIFFNESS AND MORE MASS WOULD BE THE IDEAL CONFIGURATION?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2006 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You can verify this yourself by simply looking at the expression for a period of oscillation for a simple harmonic oscillator. The period is given by

[tex]T = \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}[/tex]

[a factor of 2pi hanging around somewhere]

where T is the period, k is the spring constant (a measure of stiffness of the spring), and m is the oscillating mass. You can already see that to maximize T, you want to make k as small as possible, and m as large as possible.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook