Time to Celebrate: 20lbs Lost & a Normal BMI!

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, a study has been published stating that being overweight may not necessarily be a health risk, and in fact can have some benefits. However, there are concerns about the validity of the study and the use of BMI as an indicator of health. Additionally, age and muscle mass may play a role in the relationship between weight and health.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
So after a year of jogging and staying away from Timmy's I finally lose 20lbs and just slip into the 'normal' BMI.
They announce that it's better to be overweight!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090623/weight_risk_090623/20090624?hub=Health

= For those of you south of the border http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Hortons

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read enough about this study but studies like these are often misleading because a lot of people lose a lot of weight before death due to varying illnesses.

That was the complaint about the American study, along with overweight=>middle aged/middle class=>good healthcare.

In Canada I suspect it's because you need a certain level of body fat to survive the winter.
But I live in Vancouver - if you don't look good in Lycra they hunt you down and feed you to the bears!

Apparently, you need to get old before being overweight is good for you. But, it really may just be an indicator of existing good health that you can maintain weight when older rather than that gaining the weight leads to better health. In other words, the cause and effect could be the other way around than what that article suggests.

Of course, the same old caveats always apply to using BMI as an indicator of anything...it doesn't discriminate between muscle mass and fat mass. It may be that muscle wasting is the harbinger of death, while those who are slightly overweight have retained their muscle mass in spite of adding a bit more fat as they've slowed down.

1. How did you achieve a 20lbs weight loss and reach a normal BMI?

I followed a healthy and balanced diet, incorporating more fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains. I also incorporated regular exercise into my daily routine and made sure to stay hydrated.

2. How long did it take you to reach your goal?

It took me about 6 months to lose 20lbs and reach a normal BMI. However, the timeline may vary for each person depending on their starting weight, body composition, and individual factors.

3. Did you face any challenges during your weight loss journey?

Yes, there were definitely challenges along the way. It was difficult to stay motivated and stick to my healthy habits, especially when I had cravings or social events involving unhealthy food. But I stayed committed and reminded myself of my goal.

4. Did you use any supplements or fad diets to lose weight?

No, I did not use any supplements or fad diets. I believe in the importance of maintaining a healthy and balanced diet rather than relying on quick fixes or restrictive diets.

5. What advice do you have for others looking to lose weight and reach a normal BMI?

I would recommend making small, sustainable changes to your diet and incorporating regular physical activity. It's also important to have a support system and stay committed to your goals. Remember that weight loss is a journey and it takes time and patience to see results, so don't get discouraged and stay consistent.