Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum

In summary, there was a discussion about the removal of the Time Travel Forum and the reason behind it. The conversation then shifted to the creation of new forums and the process of becoming a mentor. The topic of time travel was brought up and a physicist's work on time travel was mentioned. The conversation then went on to discuss different theories and ideas about time travel and its potential methods.
MadIce
I tried to find the announcement, but couldn't find it. Why was forum 56 (the Time Travel Forum) removed?

Physics news on Phys.org
MY guess is that with a thirty day limitation with no repsopnses, the whole shebang is eliminated. Soemthing must of happen to the archives along with this detemrination.

New thread headings... new subject under that heading?

hmm
I am goign to be offering forums for physics that aren't hosted here-- specific areas of interest. Contact me to see if you make the list

Also does kaku ever check the forums and if so what is his sn

Tom McCurdy said:
hmm
I am goign to be offering forums for physics that aren't hosted here-- specific areas of interest. Contact me to see if you make the list

In regards to developing a Quantum gravity thread, I am going to encourage you in this direction as well. You are generating hits in a most needless way. :smile:, because this topic will endure on its own.

I have lots of links for you to drawn from and a history that I had been working from. That I bring to physics forum for consideration. I trust the mentors here for now as long as they remain open. Even in society there are individual outside academia who take a serious interest to develope. In having this perspective, I have enjoyed the freedom to relax because my life's monetary consideration have not depended on a survival in a education format many here endure.

Why medals are funny to me and make sense for younger generations who are needing authority figures to solace the feelings there are developing as they grow. As yougrow older there is a internal confidence tha matures as well as you gain in life through education as well as life expeience.

I will be watching your development as I have watched others, and encourage you to be patient.

Marcus has been quite right about how long some of things can take in developing. Even Greg here has been most fortunate that many have come on board. Found a place, that many can gather for considerations. Group mind is looking for expression, in these conversations. Like minds, gather for this reason as well. :smile:

That self adjoint would be assisting you is a good thing, for his mentoring has help me greatly as well over the years.

ty for ur response-- i think

Tom McCurdy said:
ty for ur response-- i think

especially the part about the medals eh?

ur interpetation of jealousy is misplaced for obvious reasons :smile:

Younger generations retaliate in a way when the statements at self expression are challenged. It's a growing thing abut self assertion and direction.

At a most basic level it is monkey's beating their chests. If you have lived with animals for a long time you learn to undertand this most basic features of human nature. But onthe outer covering of the brain evolution has dictated a mind that can develope, and further, one that can develope with vision.

The challenge is to arise above this emotive connection, and none of us are free of them. :rofl:

That's what I think anyway. :smile:

Back to the "The Time travel" forum

Last edited:
Tom McCurdy said:
hmm
Thank you. The reason I asked was that I have a time travel message board myself and in our portal section we had a link to the mkaku.org Time Travel forum. I now have it replaced by the PF.

I noticed the threads from the original forum survived and are now moved to other PF forums like https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12.

Having a little medal under your name is like being a prized sheep in a county fair. The more important thing is to ask questions and find answers that make sense. We live in a universe that is beautiful and complicated. Genius is not unique knowledge, it is about putting common knowledge together in unique ways. There are people here with vast knowledge of many facts who are trying to be a resource to the eventual genious who will put them all together. We will also challenge you every step of the way.

Hey all... so the time travel forum was lost in time, eh?
oh well. cie la vie, or would cie la temp be more appropriate?
While I'm sure that at least a few of you have heard of Dr. Ronald L. Mallett's work at UConn, I'm sitting here watching one of those Discovery Science Channel shows, dealing with his work on time travel.
Apparently, he's taking this completely seriously, and has posted a paper in Physical Review Letter's A. According to the show's narrator, it was received with "great enthusiasm" by his peers.
Here's a link to his site.
http://www.physics.uconn.edu/~mallett/
So, if there is such a beast as time travel, he believes that he'll be among those who prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have many links in regards to time travel that can be brought here.

http://wc0.worldcrossing.com/WebX?14@85.hibmcdeMH4g.5@.1ddea281

A time machine based on an immense cylinder spinning at near-light speed. The physicist W. J. van Stokum realized in 1937 that such an object would effectively stir spacetime as if it were treacle, dragging it along as the cylinder turned. What van Stokum didn't realize is that circumnavigating such a cylinder can lead to closed time-like paths. Anyone orbiting the cylinder in the direction of the spin would be caught in the current and, from the perspective of a distant observer, exceed the speed of light and thus travel back in time. Circling the cylinder in the other direction with just the right trajectory would project the subject into the future. The van Stokum time machine is based on the Lense-Thiring effect and uses ordinary matter but of enormous density - many orders of magnitude greater than that of nuclear matter.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/V/vanStokum_cylinder.html

The Theory of Everything, by Michio Kaku

http://firstscience.com/SITE/images/articles/kaku/black_hole2.jpg

An infinite, spinning cylinder. This allows for time travel if one travels around the cylinder. Cosmic strings. They allow for time travel if the cosmic strings collide. A spinning black hole. This collapses into a spinning ring (not a point), so anyone falling through the ring might actually fall through a wormhole (the Einstein-Rosen Bridge) which, like Alice's Looking Glass, connects two different regions of space and time. Negative matter. If enough negative matter were to be found,then it might open up a wormhole large enough so that a trip through time wouldn't be any more jarring than a ride on an airplane. Negative energy. Similarly, an intense concentration of negative energy can also open up a wormhole. A crude version of "warp drive" can be obtained if one stretches the space in front of you and compress the space behind you via negative energy. A Theory of Everything may also help explain the sticky paradoxes found in time travel stories,such as the grandfather paradox (what happens if you kill your ancestors before you are born). Because the entire universe must be quantized, it’s possible the universe splits in half when you alter the past. The "river of time" forks into two different rivers.

http://firstscience.com/SITE/articles/kaku.asp

Mar 30, 2004 2:48 pm (#18 of 20)
Edited Apr 13, 2004 7:52 pm
Ronald Mallets work?

selfAdjoint said:
http://www.physics.uconn.edu/~mallett is Mallett's faculty site at University of Connecticut. He discusses several of his researches including the weak field calculation you mentioned Sol. Several other sites I found by googling contain speculations and one journalistic site says that he and a coworker are trying to build such a ringlaser as he described and thendemonstrate frame-dragging (and CTCs and thence time travel) experimentally in accordance with his theory.

AFAIK his theory is a serious study in GR math, was published in Physics Letters, and has not been refuted. Some other physicists are quoted as thinking the gravity of the laser light won't be enough to generate the effect. But I would think that Mallet, who calculated the effect, has so far got the last word on that.

I think Steve Carlip has something to say on this? :smile:

sol2 said:
Mar 30, 2004 2:48 pm (#18 of 20)
Edited Apr 13, 2004 7:52 pm
Ronald Mallets work?

I think Steve Carlip has something to say on this? :smile:

See the thread "The Mallet Time Machine". I hadn't seen Carlip's reference to the Hawking theorem. It does seem that Mallet needs to address this issue directly, and I now doubt that he can, because he works only in the linearized equations, where none of this appears. I saw a segement on Mallett and his theory on the new "Science Channel". It was completely pro-Mallett and didn't discuss the issues at all.

Last edited:
Welcome back SA.

Maybe you can help me here. Carlip responds to a question on an internet forum so I'm not sure Mallett's work was accurately presented to Carlip. Mallett's paper specifies weak fields. What am I missing?

His paper
http://temporology.bio.msu.ru/EREPORTS/mallett.pdf

The link seems to be down a lot but it does work once in a while.

HI all,

No one will ever travel to the future or the past of his own world line.

No one will ever travel to the past of another world line he has once intersected.

Only travel to the future of a once intersected world line can be contemplated.

If world lines have not intersected, future and past as relates two world lines is indeterminate.

As to the idea of splitting universe world lines. Where does the energy come from. You would be doubling the energy.

juju

juju said:
HI all,

No one will ever travel to the future or the past of his own world line.

No one will ever travel to the past of another world line he has once intersected.

Only travel to the future of a once intersected world line can be contemplated.

If world lines have not intersected, future and past as relates two world lines is indeterminate.

As to the idea of splitting universe world lines. Where does the energy come from. You would be doubling the energy.

juju

Here's a fictional story.

Let's say I am a TRacker from the future, as well as having been a tracker in the past. What is the one thing that would have been consistent?

A Tracker looks for signs. He senses the impressions made, by weight, by temperature, how faded the tracks has become. Every event that takes place leaves a impression of one form or another, and being of alien dissent :rofl: and a time traveller, I ask how we might look at all impressions.

How those energy events describe themselves.

Having understood the geometricization of the gravitational waves, each graviton tells me something about this event, so I now use this graviton as a hologrpahcal image altough it describes only the one aspect of the wave, it also contains a picture of the whole. So as a timetraveller I can travel fifteen billion year quite easily. I am just developing the coordinates now?

AS a time traveller, I then have to understand how I could traverse these dimenisons. Time takes on a whole different meaning to me now and for ever more and I have no illusions, that separate time.

The End (?):smile:

Last edited:
Hi,

If the universe is in state A and during an interval of duration passes to state B, the inhabitants of the universe will measure different times for the interval of duration.

With the universe in state B, State A is gone, it is no longer accessible. Any attempt to travel to state A will result in a transition to state C after another interval of duration, which again will be measured differently depending on the condition of the inhabitants of the universe.

State C is just the next state in the normal evolution of a universe in which intelligent entities think they are time traveling.

There is one way that a traveler may appear to travel in time without actually doing so. This would involve travel to a different time line in higher dimensional space whose state appears to be in the past or future of the travelers origin.

Another way of time travel possibility is if time does not really exist. This would be if all possibilities of the universe exist in a sort of multi-dimensional phase space where all these possibilities are accessible from each other and the normal path through the space is just governed by momentum within the phase space.

juju

Last edited:
Hi to All:
It is first necessary to define the nature of time before it is possible to determine if time travel is possible.
Without going into detail that I have posted elsewhere on this forum. Observation indicates that time is the result of our transition outward from the Big Bang and that the transition is at a rate equal to the speed of light.

To go forward in time using this definition of time is impossible because it would require moving at a rate greater than the speed of light.

Going back in time is a possibility but if you did you would find nothing once you left our time frame. The total time frame of our universe is less than Planck time. That is less than a nanosecond. All that exist in the universe exists at the same point in time or at the same distance outward from the Big Bang.

Another problem you have is trying to find something to push against that would give you a vector direction in time, unless you are able to find a way to get rid of the requirement of action-reaction.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that there is another universe just a fraction of time behind us. The Big Bang could by a continuous cycle producing universes at the rate of 10^9 universes per second.

Hi all,

Time can be looked at in two ways:

1) The interval of duration of a state of the universe

2) The interval of duration between states of the universe.

These may be quantized or continuous depending on your point of view.

These two together make up what we measure as time.

juju

Again Hi to All:
Only one view that matches observation of time is required. Time is our transition in the time dimension at a rate equal to the speed of light. This same transition is the transition outward from the Big Bang. This view matches all requirements of explaining time and the nature of the time dimension.

The distance outward from the Big Bang is the same throughout the universe and therefore time is the same throughout the universe. All actions in the universe occur simultaneously. You could therefore go at any rate including instantaneously and never arrive before an action takes place.

The result is there is no time travel.

Hi 4Newton,

Regardless of our differences in our definitions of time, I do agree that in actuality all events in the universe occur simultaneously. It is only our perception of signals from these events (due to the limiting velocities of signal transfer) that makes it appear elsewise. So, any type of time travel would not be possible based on velocity considerations. This would also apply to any type of wormhole travel.

juju

Hello Juju,

Another way of time travel possibility is if time does not really exist. This would be if all possibilities of the universe exist in a sort of multi-dimensional phase space where all these possibilities are accessible from each other and the normal path through the space is just governed by momentum within the phase space. ---Juju 9/16/04.

Regardless of our differences in our definitions of time, I do agree that in actuality all events in the universe occur simultaneously. ---Juju 9/24/04.

Those statements sound very all inclusive, including delving into non-linear dynamics. Perhaps a discussion of equal importance would be if humanity did achieve the auspices of "Time Travel". As a means of transportation or a tool of another means. How would we use it, or how would the persons / organizations who first discover it, and use it put it into application?

That seems to be also another equal enigma into figuring out the technology and methodology of it's function. Albeit it's a social question at it's heart of how would such applications of such a tool be used. Some can argue we aren't mature enough to handle such a technology. But, the same can be said about the Hydrogen, Atomic, & now Thermo-Nuclear weapons we have now.

When and not if humanity discovers the use of time travel, it can be equal to the discovery of fire by primitive man. Hopefully those that understand the principles and theorictal applications of time travel. Can also shed light on it's proper usage and responsibility by the few for the masses.

That's another all-inclusive view point.

------------

Another way of time travel possibility is if time does not really exist. This would be if all possibilities of the universe exist in a sort of multi-dimensional phase space where all these possibilities are accessible from each other and the normal path through the space is just governed by momentum within the phase space. ---Juju 9/16/04.

The first portion of your quote from above also sounds very much like a spiritual / etheral reality. Meaning eternity as a static and dynamic field in one instance. Where a multi-dimensional plane is superimposed or sandwiched into our present limited view of "Time" by definition. (however ill conceived it is)

Where anyone point can access all points of reality simultaneously. Not by breaching or tearing into the space / time bubble, but bending it. In so much as rerouting it's inherant direction to another segment.

Besides there's always all this talk of spinning this or that to tear into the space / time barrier to be catapulted elsewhere. How about using the sound barrier as a catalyst to bend the space / time construct as a means of propulsion. (the sound particle I'm speaking about is inaudible to us)

That's my present understanding of such a possibility of using dimensional realities as a sling shot elsewhere.

Last edited:
Time travel is very easy if you want to go to the future. All you have to do is just knock yourself unconscious and when u wake up u would have travelld to thefuture. LOL. Or you have traveled into future since you have read the top of my post and now you are coming to the end. LOL

Hi Atrayo,

In my personal opinion, humanity as a whole is nowhere hear being mature enough to handle time travel. We are going to destroy this planet with our present technology, if enough of us don't wake up and grow up real quick like.

That said, the process here looks like one of altering the local parameters of space/time in such a way as to alter the momentum in phase space to incrementally change the local reality. The rest of the universe would remain the same, but the local reality would change. This would be easier than trying to change the state of the entire universe at once. In actuality, the entire state of the universe would change to one in which the local reality was different.

As to how this might be done, there are ideas that involve using linear and rotating electric and magnetic fields in some combination.

juju

1. What is the purpose of "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum"?

The purpose of "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum" is to provide a platform for discussing theories, ideas, and advancements related to time travel.

2. Who can participate in "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum"?

Anyone with an interest in time travel, regardless of their background or level of expertise, can participate in "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum".

3. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting on "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum"?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure respectful and productive discussions. These can usually be found in the forum's terms and conditions or community guidelines.

4. Are there any experts or professionals in the field of time travel involved in "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum"?

There may be experts or professionals in the field of time travel who participate in "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum", but this cannot be guaranteed. It is primarily a forum for open discussions among enthusiasts.

5. Can I post about my own time travel experiments or inventions on "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum"?

It is not recommended to post about personal experiments or inventions related to time travel on "Forum 56 Removed: Time Travel Forum". It is important to follow ethical and legal guidelines when conducting any experiments or creating inventions. However, you can share your ideas and theories about time travel on the forum.