Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tipping! Is it a must?

1. Jul 25, 2014 #1
    If you go into a good restaurant or check in some luxurious 5 star hotel, do you have to tip the bellboys, any waiters or waitresses etc ?
    What if you do and act like Mr.Bean or Ms.Swan ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In the United States tipping is a must unless the person has done something really wrong, that's how they make their money. It doesn't matter if it's a nice place or a dive, you tip. In a hotel, at the end of your stay, you also leave a tip for the people that clean your room, or if you're smart you tip them some the first day. Because I traveled a lot for my job, I was actually given instructions on who to tip, when, and how much. I was surprised at how many people I was supposed to tip, I never would have guessed.

Oh dear, this says tip the room cleaner daily since the person can change.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/24/hotel.housekeeping.tipping/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  4. Jul 25, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

As Evo said, it is expected in the US and it is extremely disrespectful of service people who depend on tips for most of their wages if you do not tip. It is especially bad manners to not tip if the service is good.

5. Jul 25, 2014 #4
    Could you share on who to tip, when and how much if you are staying at a rather nice hotel?
    (Background: Grad student attending a conference, room is being paid for but I guess I need to factor tips into my expenses)

6. Jul 25, 2014 #5
    I'm never sure who to tip. I've been to lots of restaurants, so I know to tip the servers. I'm going to get my first professional massage soon. Do I tip them? I have no idea. I pay a bunch of money for the massage itself... so why would I tip? And haircuts. Do I tip them? I've done my own haircuts ever since I was old enough to do it myself, so I don't know if I tip hair stylists. Never heard of tipping barbers, and that's what I went to as a kid, but I've never went to a stylist. I want to, but I don't know if I'm supposed to tip them. Seems like it might be awkward. "And here's some extra money..."
    I guess it comes down to if the person providing the service makes less money because they're expected to get tips. And.... I would know this information how?

7. Jul 25, 2014 #6

Evo

I read once that you tip the hair stylist if they are an employee, but not if they are the owner. Of course this was decades ago, but it makes sense, the employee only gets to keep part of what you pay, the owner keeps all, or the employee may rent space from the owner and keep the fee, but they still don't get to keep as much as the owner in the end. I will try to do some research tonight and try to find out what the current tip etiquette is.

8. Jul 25, 2014 #7

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I always tip my barber. Unless you frequent the art of shaving, barbershop prices are low so giving another 5 bucks doesn't hurt. Plus you never know how much a few extra bucks means to someone. My dad always tipped barbers so I started doing it out of habit. My usual barber certainly doesn't mind.

And as evo mentioned when it comes to servers in the US tips are their source of income so you have to tip them. In my opinion if you can't afford to tip a server then you shouldn't be eating at a restaurant. It is messed up that the servers have to mainly live off of tips but the US isn't exactly known for it's fair treatment of these kinds of employees.

9. Jul 25, 2014 #8

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I tip:

* waiters: 15% for good/normal service, 20% for exceptional service, 0-10% for substandard service, depending on how bad
    * bartenders: a buck (if male) or two (if female) per drink
    * woman who cuts my hair: $5
    * cab driver: 10% or so
    * guy who carries my bags at a hotel if I'm too lazy: $5

10. Jul 25, 2014 #9
    We should tip just about everyone anymore. The person who will make the most money from your massage is the massage parlor, or spa owner, not the massage therapist.

If the actual service provider doesn't own the place, they usually depend on tips.

11. Jul 25, 2014 #10
    Do you really think that is true? I don't. The owner makes more money overall, but not per massage.

I work as a pizza delivery driver. I make more off an order than anybody else in the organization, even if I get stiffed. The catch is that I also work with less orders than most anybody else does.

12. Jul 25, 2014 #11

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

Why would you tip the bartender as a function of their gender?

13. Jul 25, 2014 #12
    My daughter in law works as a massage therapist at a spa. Their standard charge is $95. She gets 45% the owner gets 55%. This can vary, some locals place have a 50/50 split. My daughter in law stays where she is because the location has a lot of big tippers.

14. Jul 25, 2014 #13
    But the owner does "make" that 55%... Surely some of the cost has to go to utilities, rent, taxes, etc. I bet that comes out of the owner's 55%, not the masseuse's 45%. So only if utilities, rent, taxes, etc are less than 10% of the total take does your statement hold true. I doubt that is the case. Do you think that makes sense? The building and electricity have to cost something...

15. Jul 25, 2014 #14

Char. Limit

Gold Member

As a pizza delivery driver myself, I'd like to know by what logic you make "more than anyone else in your organization" does from an order. When I'm driving, I make $4.25 an hour, have to spend the money on gas to drive to the location (which can be as much as 10 miles away), and the company only compensates me $1.07 for each drive. I've done the math, and I need to get about $3 in tips, every drive, simply in order to be making close to minimum wage. Anything below $3 is simply telling your delivery driver that your pizza or their best efforts aren't important to you, and giving no tip at all marks you as an ungrateful wretch.

Stiffers, the people who don't tip your drive at all, are the main reason pizza delivery has such a high turnover rate.

16. Jul 25, 2014 #15

Evo

But the masseuse is the one working, not the owner, so the cut the owner is getting is covering their expenses and then some. The more people working and paying the more the owner makes for doing nothing, so to speak.

17. Jul 25, 2014 #16

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tipping also depends heavily on the country and culture.

Refer to previous posts in this thread for standard tipping for U.S. If you don't tip for services in the U.S., it is a big deal. Waiters, bartenders, taxi-drivers, in the U.S. are paid next to nothing (often well below the minimum wage [and yes, that's legal in these cases]) because there is an understanding that they will earn the bulk of their money from tips.

In the U.K./Ireland, you can tip your waiter/bartender, but if you tip as much as you would in the U.S., you'd be perceived as going overboard (and may even be perceived with suspicion thereafter). Tipping amounts and frequency of tipping is a fraction of what it is in the U.S (maybe 1/3 as a rough guess).

In many Asian countries there is little to no tipping. I've tipped taxi-cab drivers a little, and they didn't seem to mind. But once after I left a tip for a waitress at a restaurant in Japan, she chased me for blocks thinking that I had left some money behind. When I explained that I left it as a tip she looked noticeably dejected and possibly offended. Coming from an American mentality, sometimes it's an effort not to tip. But sometimes it's a necessary effort, depending on the region and culture. (Assuming you don't wish to needlessly offend the people offering you service.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  18. Jul 25, 2014 #17

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In the US you tip the people who are paid an otherwise substandard wage.

For example, PF mentors are paid zero. We should be heavily tipped.

Reminder to self: Set up a bitcoin account!

19. Jul 25, 2014 #18

Evo

I assume that you also use your own car so there is a cost for wear and tear on your car?

20. Jul 25, 2014 #19

Char. Limit

Gold Member

But of course. In fact, I'm actually having to get my tires replaced tomorrow, primarily because I'm driving a hundred miles a day.

21. Jul 25, 2014 #20
    I make minimum wage and take between 2 and 3 deliveries an hour. That comes to 3.2 dollars per order. Orders usually cost between 10 and 15 dollars. Managers make 12-15 dollars per hour and produce 40-50 orders over an 8 hour shift. Thats at best, 3 dollars per order. And this is assuming I get stiffed on every delivery, which I don't.

If you are doing 20 mile round trips at 4.25 an hour Im not surprised people quit your place a lot... I average 2.5 miles one way. Vehicles cost about 55 cents per mile to operate so I calculate that I need to bring in about 2.50 per delivery to be equal to minimum wage. Of course this doesn't count any compensation for having one the most dangerous jobs there is... If I didn't average $4 per delivery I would quit driving and work inside. I average about $5 per delivery with the delivery fee and tip combined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook