Trip to Istanbul this November

• News
  • Thread starter Hepth
  • Start date
In summary, the traveler recommends visiting Istanbul, which is a fantastic city with many attractions.
Hepth
Gold Member
So my girlfriend and I are spontaneously heading to Istanbul near Thanksgiving. Our hotel is near Taksim Square (new city part). I figured PF is quite well-traveled and was hoping to get some ideas for things to do/places to see as well as any traveler-tips.

Her brother's girlfriend is from Istanbul, so she has given us some ideas but its always good to hear things from fellow travelers rather than a local. (Obviously both are good, but locals don't stay in most of the hotels, eat at the touristy restaurants, etc).

If anyone has been I'd love to hear it! We're staying for about a week. We're both about 30 yrs old, so walking everywhere is fine.

I know there are a lot of travel guides online (ive read a ton) but I value your opinion too!

Thanks!
-Hepth

Physics news on Phys.org
You've probably heard this already, and it applies to anywhere on the European/Asian continents, but guard your valuables from pick pockets at all times, especially in busy places like shopping areas and especially if you have bags, backpacks, or purses.

Even unsuspecting well dressed men in business suits will act as distractions so that their accomplice can steal from you. They tried that strategy on me on an escalator once, where the well dressed person got unusually close behind me to where I couldn't move well, and he bumped me a few times to lessen my tolerance so that I wouldn't suspect anything. His accomplice, dressed entirely different, followed him quickly behind to get on too. Then I heard the slow zipping of my backpack (i have really good hearing) and I felt a constant pressure against my back (again to distract from his hands going inside) and so I turned around.

They both looked really guilty and I saw my backpack hanging open so I gave them a dirty look. I turned sideways so my back was not facing them, and they both looked up into the air like they were minding their own business and then swiftly walked off in different directions when we got to the bottom. I looked in my backpack and could see it hanging open, but nothing was missing. It was only then that I put it all together of what just happened and could see that it was a very coordinated strategy on their part where they timed everything after spotting me approach the escalator.

Last edited:
I was in Istanbul three years ago. It is a fantastic city with wonderful things to see. There isn't a shortage of attractions. I don't really have any suggestions other than to make time to just walk around and get lost.

Haven't been to Instanbul (but hopefully one day). I have done a good amount of traveling and I highly recommend the lonely planet guide I've found them to be the best. I did see on the travel channel these travertine hot springs in Turkey, I don't think it's near Instanbul but might it could be a fun excursion. Have an amazing trip!

I am not qualified to provide travel advice. However, I can offer some suggestions for making the most out of your trip to Istanbul. First, make sure to visit the historic sites such as the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, and Topkapi Palace. These landmarks offer a glimpse into Istanbul's rich history and culture. Additionally, Taksim Square is known for its vibrant nightlife, so be sure to check out the local bars and restaurants in the area.

If you are looking for a more authentic experience, consider taking a food tour or cooking class to learn about traditional Turkish cuisine. You can also visit the Grand Bazaar, one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world, to shop for souvenirs and experience the bustling atmosphere.

In terms of traveler tips, it is always a good idea to research the local customs and etiquette before visiting a new country. Also, be aware of any potential scams or pickpockets in touristy areas and always keep your valuables safe.

Overall, Istanbul is a beautiful and dynamic city with so much to offer. Take the time to explore and immerse yourself in the culture, and I am sure you will have a memorable trip. Enjoy your visit!

1. When is the best time to visit Istanbul in November?

The best time to visit Istanbul in November is typically during the first two weeks of the month. This is when the weather is mild and there are fewer crowds compared to the latter half of November when it can get quite cold and rainy.

2. What is the weather like in Istanbul in November?

In November, Istanbul experiences cool and wet weather with an average temperature of 12°C (54°F). It is important to pack warm and waterproof clothing for your trip.

3. What are the must-see attractions in Istanbul in November?

Some of the must-see attractions in Istanbul during November include the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and the Grand Bazaar. It is also a great time to take a Bosphorus cruise and visit the Spice Bazaar.

4. Is it safe to travel to Istanbul in November?

Generally, Istanbul is a safe city to visit in November. However, it is important to be aware of your surroundings and take normal precautions against pickpockets and scams. It is also recommended to check the latest travel advisories before your trip.

5. What is the food like in Istanbul in November?

Istanbul offers a diverse range of delicious food options in November, from traditional Turkish cuisine to international dishes. Some popular dishes to try include kebabs, mezes, and baklava. It is also a great time to try seasonal dishes such as chestnuts and pumpkin desserts.