Need Help Improving Your Family-Owned Restaurant?

• Thread starter waternohitter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Business
In summary: They may be able to provide you with a good estimate for the cost of such a survey.In summary, conducting a survey to figure out what your patrons want is a good idea. You may also want to look into hiring a consulting chef to help you with this.
waternohitter
Our family owned restaurant has been in the business for almost 5 years now. We are doing well but I think, we need some changes. Maybe change the menu? Or the look of the shop? A friend suggested that we do surveys so that we know what our patrons want. I don't have any idea how I should go about this. Any tips or advice? Is there a cheap but effective way of doing this? Is there a company that provides service for this kind of thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your goals?

• Make more money?
  • Become more popular?
  • Employ more people?
  • Offer better food?
  • Offer a more enjoyable dining experience?

All of the above. LOL. Just joking. Offer better food and offer a more enjoyable dining experience. If you have both, the rest will just follow.

I looked online and stumbled upon this audit management software. It has what I'm looking for and and it seems that it also does internal audit. I think I'll try this one first. We've done the suggestion cards before and it brought in some really good ones. Hope this thing with the survey works out.

Likes Silicon Waffle
waternohitter said:
Our family owned restaurant has been in the business for almost 5 years now. We are doing well but I think, we need some changes. Maybe change the menu? Or the look of the shop? A friend suggested that we do surveys so that we know what our patrons want. I don't have any idea how I should go about this. Any tips or advice? Is there a cheap but effective way of doing this? Is there a company that provides service for this kind of thing?

Have you looked on Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc. on the type of reviews that your restaurant have been getting? That is the quickest way to figure out what needs to change and improve.

Zz.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Borg
I don't go to restaurants much, but I go to a lot of coffee shops and I am convinced the single most appealing thing about any given place is friendliness. This brings more people back than anything else. It's what I would call the "Cheers Factor". If people feel comfortable and welcome, the menu is almost immaterial.

waternohitter said:
almost 5 years now.
Average lifespan of "mom & pop" establishments on the Front Range is 5-6 mos..
Guess what. It "ain't broke," and that means you want to be careful what sort of "fixes" and improvements you make.

waternohitter said:

I really don’t know if there are companies that offer that kind of services but I like the idea of conducting a survey. It’s relatively easy and you can collect data from large amount of respondents. However, there are respondents who do not provide honest and accurate answers so better watch out for that.

There are consulting chefs making just such recommendations.

Related to Need Help Improving Your Family-Owned Restaurant?

1. What is the purpose of business improvement help?

The purpose of business improvement help is to identify and implement strategies and techniques that will improve the overall performance and efficiency of a business. This can include streamlining processes, increasing productivity, reducing costs, and improving customer satisfaction.

2. How can business improvement help benefit my company?

Business improvement help can benefit your company in many ways, such as increasing profits, improving employee morale, enhancing customer experience, and staying competitive in the market. It can also help your company adapt to changes in the industry and improve overall business operations.

3. What are common areas where business improvement help is needed?

Common areas where business improvement help is needed include operations, marketing, finance, and customer service. These areas can often be optimized and improved through the implementation of effective strategies and techniques.

4. How do I know if my company needs business improvement help?

If your company is facing challenges such as declining profits, high employee turnover, low customer satisfaction, or inefficient processes, it may be time to consider seeking business improvement help. Additionally, if you want to stay ahead of the competition and continuously improve your business, seeking help can be beneficial.

5. What are some common methods used in business improvement help?

Some common methods used in business improvement help include conducting a thorough analysis of the current business operations, identifying areas for improvement, implementing new processes and systems, and regularly monitoring and evaluating progress. Other methods may include employee training and development, incorporating technology, and implementing feedback from customers and employees.