Tips for Finding Jobs with a BS in Physics

In summary: Instead, say you are interested in learning more about the industry and want to get a better understanding of the job market. Another job hunt tip is to network with people in the industry.
galactic
I just got my BS in Physics from Arizona State University (transferred from UC Irvine in CA after decided I didn't want to pursue biology major there and came back to AZ to live with family and work and pursue physics because I like it)

I graduated yesterday and have a fire burning inside me to find a job in industry, finance, anything! I want to work and make money ASAP, I have no desire for a PHD in physics and am considering applying for the Masters in Nanoscience (1 year accelerated program at ASU) for the fall of next year.

In the meantime, this summer, I am looking for a job. I love technology and keep hearing about physics majors working in the semiconductor industry and finance. Although helpful, I have not heard specifics of job descriptions. I was hoping anyone could provide insight or job hunt tips for me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be tough to sell yourself for a position like that when you are only available to work for a few months over the summer. Or is it the Fall of 2015 that you hope to start your MS? Even one year of availability is not very long for a company to invest in you then make profit off of you. You may have to hide your intentions...

galactic said:
In the meantime, this summer, I am looking for a job. I love technology and keep hearing about physics majors working in the semiconductor industry and finance.
The majority of the physics majors working in these areas have a PHD.

galactic said:
In the meantime, this summer, I am looking for a job. I love technology and keep hearing about physics majors working in the semiconductor industry and finance. Although helpful, I have not heard specifics of job descriptions. I was hoping anyone could provide insight or job hunt tips for me!

What exactly would you do in the semiconductor industry? If I were to hire you today, what value could you add to my group? How would I justify your salary to my supervisor?

One job hunt tip is not to mention you are thinking of leaving in a year to go back to grad school.

Congratulations on graduating with your BS in Physics! It's great to hear that you have a passion for the subject and are eager to find a job in industry. Physics is a versatile degree that can lead to a variety of career paths.

One option you may want to consider is looking for entry-level positions in industries such as semiconductor manufacturing or finance. These industries often have a need for individuals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are key skills developed through studying physics.

In terms of job descriptions, you can search for roles such as process engineer, research assistant, or data analyst. These positions may not specifically mention "physics" in the title, but they often require the same skills and knowledge that you have gained through your degree.

Additionally, networking can be a valuable tool in your job search. Reach out to alumni from your university who are working in industries that interest you, attend job fairs, and connect with professionals on LinkedIn. They may be able to provide more specific insights and job opportunities.

As for pursuing a Master's in Nanoscience, it can certainly be a valuable addition to your education and open up more career opportunities. However, it's important to carefully consider the cost and time commitment before making a decision. You may also want to gain some industry experience first before deciding if a Master's is the right path for you.

Overall, my advice would be to keep an open mind and explore different industries and job opportunities. Your physics degree has equipped you with valuable skills that are in demand in various fields, so don't limit yourself to just one industry. Good luck in your job search!

1. What types of jobs are available for fresh graduates with a BS in physics?

There are a variety of job opportunities for fresh graduates with a BS in physics. Some common options include research positions in government or private laboratories, teaching positions in schools or universities, and roles in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology.

2. How can I use my degree in physics to get a job in a different field?

A degree in physics provides a foundation of critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be applied to a wide range of industries. You can leverage your quantitative and analytical abilities to pursue careers in data science, finance, consulting, or even entrepreneurship.

3. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a physics-related job?

In addition to strong mathematical and scientific knowledge, successful physicists also possess skills in critical thinking, data analysis, and communication. Proficiency in coding and computer software can also be beneficial in many physics-related jobs.

4. Are internships important for finding a job with a physics degree?

Yes, internships can be very valuable for gaining practical experience and networking with professionals in the field. They also provide an opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills in a real-world setting, making you a more competitive candidate for job opportunities.

5. What is the average salary for a fresh graduate with a physics degree?

The average salary for a fresh graduate with a physics degree varies depending on the specific job and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers in May 2020 was $129,390. However, salaries can range from around $60,000 to over $200,000 depending on the job and location.