Tips to get addmission in good university?

In summary: GPA?In summary, the best steps to get admission into a good university are to have an impressive GPA, to have completed many prerequisite courses, to have excellent essays, and to have a good transfer agreement with a California Community College.
eminent_youtom
Tips to get addmission in good university?

hey everybody i am currently doing my first year of undergrad in a community college and planning to transfer any of UCs(university of California) on math and physics double major.
what are the best steps i can follow in order to get admission in uc Berkeley.
I am determined and serious about my study and want to develop my career as a researcher(especially in cosmology, spacetime, gravity, nuclear physics(any of them) ). for that what steps i have take from now? what types of book are best for me and what else i have to do to join some research club. but let me remind u i am in a college level of physics and cal III ..

appreciate ur help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
waiting for your wise suggestion

Last edited:
Other than having an impressive GPA and a good number of prerequisite courses for the major on your transcript-- start working on your essays as early as possible. Let at least two people read them and give you feedback. Poor essays can be dealbreakers in UC admissions.

Math Is Hard said:
Poor essays can be dealbreakers in UC admissions.

And make sure you spellcheck them. :smile: (look at your thread title again)

Did you read a book by Hawking or Greene lately?

eminent,

Check out www.assist.org. It is a website with the distinct purpose of specifying what classes to take in order to best prepare for a transfer to a UC (or Cal State). It allows you to choose the California Community College that you will be transferring from, and then the institution you would like to transfer to, and will subsequently generate a list of courses to be taken at the community college that will fulfill that major’s undergrad requirements for that university (in your case, Berkeley). It will also provide supplemental information regarding GPA guidelines, admission criteria etc.

Also, regarding admissions, UC’s and Cal States have many various agreements with California Community Colleges which can ultimately give you preferred or even guaranteed admission to that university given you adhere to the requirements of the particular agreement (different universities offer different agreements). For instance, I have a contract with my community college called a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG), which guarantees my admission to UCSD as long as I complete all of the specified courses while keeping a decent GPA. Hope this helps and best of luck. Derek

JasonRox said:

:biggrin::rofl:

JasonRox said:

Or perhaps Sagan.:biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
Other than having an impressive GPA and a good number of prerequisite courses for the major on your transcript-- start working on your essays as early as possible. Let at least two people read them and give you feedback. Poor essays can be dealbreakers in UC admissions.

I didn't have 1 person proofread my essays and I am not the best writer either, but I got into UCLA and berkeley. For freshman, essays probably matter a lot more than for transfers applicants

actually to transfer from a cc, you can do what I did. I had a near 4.0 gpa and completed all of my prereqs and IGETC. It was really simple for me. I just tried really hard for my classes, not just to get good grades, but to make sure I understood most of the concepts of my math and physics classes. But I had to sacrifice a lot of a social life. I also managed to have plenty of time to self-study for upper-div classes

thankx JasonRox and everybody
ya! i have studied a brief history of time, universe in a nutshell, wrapped passage(partially), after the beginning, non-mathematical special relativity, the greatest unsolved theorem: Riemann hypothesis (partially), currently reading appearance and reality...

i love reading physics books but for me its hard to read the whole book..
can u suggest some nice books and videos related to quantum, gravity, cosmology,nuclear physics and relativity.

currently i am taking college physics thus i am taking university physics 1 and calculus III in fall..i am interested in math too. what can i do to increase my knowledge level?

my ultimate goal is to receive PhD and todo research in physics and math. I am ready to sacrifice my whole life for physics. please! your guidance are welcome.

and your wise comment are appreciated.
thankx:uhh:

I got accepted to UCB, it seems that my reference letters played a huge role in determining my acceptance. GPA is not really a issue (mind you you better have a 3.9 +).

oh you it is absolutely better to have GPA 3.9 + but as i was new in usa i screwed up in the first semester, so right now i have just ~~ 3.65 GPA (hope i can increase it to 3.8(+)(-).
what should i have to do in college to get a good reference letter?(i usually try to build a good relationship with professors).
My other problem is that i am weak in english. the only positive point abt me is i am good in math and curious (for me) on physics. I don't want my application to be rejected due to weak english. any suggestion.
thankx for ur kind help

Last edited:
SeReNiTy said:
I got accepted to UCB, it seems that my reference letters played a huge role in determining my acceptance. GPA is not really a issue (mind you you better have a 3.9 +).

umm... UC's don't require letters of rec. Or are you talking about the essay?

Anyways, I started end first semester with a 3.67 gpa with only 9 units completed and a W in Calc II. But I got all A's since and got admitted. So its never too late to improve

what was ur average Gpa when u apply?

my gpa was 3.91 with 32 units completed when I applied

thats tremendo!

1. What are some tips for writing a strong personal statement for university admission?

Some tips for writing a strong personal statement for university admission include:

• Start early and give yourself enough time to revise and edit.
  • Be authentic and honest about your experiences and goals.
  • Show, don't tell - use specific examples and anecdotes to demonstrate your skills and qualities.
  • Make sure your statement is well-structured and easy to read.
  • Proofread carefully for grammar and spelling errors.

2. How important are letters of recommendation for university admission?

Letters of recommendation can be an important component of a university application, as they provide insight into your character, academic abilities, and potential for success in higher education. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and accomplishments.

3. Is it better to apply early decision or regular decision for university admission?

There is no right answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and preferences. Applying early decision can show your strong interest in a particular university, but it also means you are committed to attending if accepted. Regular decision allows you to apply to multiple universities and compare financial aid packages, but it may also be more competitive.

4. What types of extracurricular activities should I include on my university application?

The types of extracurricular activities you include on your university application should be ones that you are genuinely passionate about and have made a significant impact on. These can include sports, clubs, community service, and leadership roles. It is not necessary to list every activity you have participated in; instead, focus on highlighting a few that showcase your interests and strengths.

5. How important are standardized test scores for university admission?

Standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT, are one aspect of a university application and are generally considered in conjunction with other factors, such as GPA, extracurricular activities, and personal essays. While high scores can certainly strengthen your application, they are not the only determining factor for admission. Some universities also offer test-optional policies, so it is important to research the requirements of each school you are interested in applying to.