Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tire Forces

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    I am trying to develop an understanding of the forces within a tire when moving.

I have been told to examine the tire as a ring of short compression springs, so I would assume each tire essentially has a spring coefficient and spring rate. I don't imagine the tire manufacturer's give this in their specs. So how would you go about determining the forces involved in a tire as it goes down the road, relating with temp, pressure, speed, road quatlity, and of course the tire stats.

Just recently I realized actually how much is going on within a vehicles tire, and have become fascinated in determining mathematically what is happening within.

Any Help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2010 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

semi correct...ifin you want to learn about tires see my post race car suspension..many post on tires and slip angle , coefficent of friction etc..
    Nascar outlawed tire dynometers to reduce racing cost..each tire does act like a spring and there are devices used to measure deflection under load..i suggest you use the Search feature at top of the forum for research on the subjects

4. Jun 8, 2010 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Jun 8, 2010 #4
    I looked at your race car suspension, but I am actually looking for more simplistic values, ignoring the slip angle and lateral affects of friction. More so what the tire is doing just going down the highway. With the compression forces from the road, and and centrifugal forces it is experiencing at all the other points on the tire. i searched forces on the tire, but they were not supplying the information i was looking for.

6. Jun 8, 2010 #5
    thanks jack action. thats a great source for some things I was looking for.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook