Should I Take Algebra-Based or Calculus-Based Physics?

• Thread starter starchild75
  • Start date
In summary, taking algebra-based physics before calculus-based is not an advantage, but is still recommended.
starchild75
Hi,

I am planning on majoring in physics and I am wondering if there is any advantage to taking algebra-based physics before calculus-based. I will have had calc 1 when it is time to take the physics course, so I will be taking calc 2 along with 2 other math/science courses at the same time. I have heard calc 2 is a difficult course, so I am curious as to whether the calc-based physics would be too much.

Thanks,
Starchild75

Physics news on Phys.org
I took Calc 2 and the first quarter of Calc-based Physics (Mechanics) last quarter. It wasn't too bad, there were points where the material actually overlapped between classes (work, center of mass, etc.). As long as you keep up with the homework it shouldn't be too bad.

I too think you should take the calculus based physics course. In addition to the point raised above, it wiill serve as a good gauge of whether or not you want to be majoring in Physics. If you can handle Calc 2 with Calc-based Physics and another science course, you're doing fine. If you can't, you will in all likelihood, find the rest of the program a struggle.

To paraphrase Feynman: Shut up and Calc! :biggrin:

it will be hard, but i agree that the overlap will help. and for understanding, really i think neither subject can be understood without the other.

Well, if you can't manage Calc II and Physics I in the same semester, I don't know how well you'll be able to cope with the rest of the program. That depends on your school, of course, but still. . .

Really, if you are going into the Physics, there is not much point to taking an Algebra based course. Most schools don't put them toward your major in any way, and you'll just be covering everything over again, and extra as soon as you hit Calc Phys. And Physics without Calculus is like a something that needs another something to be really good that does not have that something. Insert your own analogy.

It won't be that difficult, unless you get a professor who rides you pretty hard. Keep on top of your homework, and try and make sure you don't drop behind in either class, and you'll be fine.

Do the Calculus based physics course..it will prob be harder, but in many ways easier, if you understand the calculus.

I think you'll find calculus beautiful in a way, and it gets to be even more exciting when you learn how to apply it!

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

some professors even encourage it. they believe the concepts from calculus and calculus-based physics complement each other quite well; additionally they provide different ways to understand the same material. If you struggle with mathematical concepts, the physical interpretation of calc might be easier for you to understand. And vice versa.

To Calc! Definitely.

If you are planning a major in physics then you will be frequently taking math and physics courses simultaneously (much harder ones) so might as well start now. Also Algebra based physics is, imho, a waste of time since you will be relearning all of it in the calc based one, only with the whole picture in mind.

Last edited:
Calc, definitely. Otherwise you'll just be memorizing formulas and plugging in values without really understanding what is going on.

Calculus...

It's not even a question, if you majoring in physics take calc-based physics. I'm sure if you meet with you university's advising center or you advisor or something of the like, they'll tell you the same thing.

1. Should I have a strong math background before taking physics?

Yes, having a strong foundation in math is important for understanding both algebra-based and calculus-based physics. Basic algebra and trigonometry are essential for solving equations and understanding concepts in physics.

2. What is the main difference between algebra-based and calculus-based physics?

The main difference is the level of math involved. Algebra-based physics uses basic algebra and trigonometry, while calculus-based physics involves the use of calculus to solve more complex problems.

3. Which type of physics is more challenging?

This varies from person to person. Some may find algebra-based physics more challenging because of the heavy use of equations and problem-solving, while others may struggle with the concepts and applications of calculus-based physics.

4. Does one type of physics look better on college applications?

No, both algebra-based and calculus-based physics are considered rigorous courses and will look equally impressive on college applications. Colleges typically prefer to see a well-rounded science background rather than one specific type of physics.

5. What career paths are better suited for algebra-based vs calculus-based physics?

Algebra-based physics is often recommended for students pursuing careers in medicine, pharmacy, or other health-related fields. Calculus-based physics is more commonly taken by students pursuing careers in engineering, physics, or other STEM fields.